Chapter 9

As I touched the old scroll to make my point, I felt a jolt and then something yanked on my arm. I fell backwards into nothingness, I screamed as I fell but no one seemed to hear me. I opened my eyes to a startlingly bright light shining in front of me. I blinked my eyes and my vision cleared.

”Charlie how nice to see you. Come in my girl.” An ancient sounding voice called.

I followed her voice into a gloriously beautiful expanse that was so vast that I couldn’t see where it began or ended. An elder woman smiled at me from across a large sparkling expanse of water. She was situated on an island in the middle of the glistening water. Everything glowed with a radiant brilliance tinged with the palest pink.

“Come.” She gestured across the water at me, but there was nowhere to walk. I frowned at her. “Make a walkway with your mind, dear girl.”

I closed my eyes and imagined some stepping stones leading across the water. They appeared magically popping into the air like large bulbous mushrooms before plopping delicately in the water. I carefully leapt from one to the next to reach her. I realised she was not on an island as soon as it started moving, but this didn’t seem to worry her.

She was draped comfortably across a luxurious lounge, supported by plump pink cushions. She gestured to a chair that was equally as lavish as hers for me to sit on. So I sat nervously, wondering who she was and what she wanted of me.

She smiled at me like an old friend, and I found myself returning one to her. Her wrinkled skin looked fragile enough to break with just her smile. Her brown eyes contained wisdom of many years and her steely grey hair escaped from her bun wildly. To me she seemed older than anyone I had ever met before.

“I have wondered how it would feel seeing you again. Now that you are here I feel terribly unsure of myself.” She chuckled quietly to herself, as we looked at each other.

“Who are you?” I asked quietly.

“You will figure it out soon enough and you will regret not asking me certain questions.” She said serenely so I glared at her.

“That doesn’t really help me.”

“Well then, how about this? I am here to discuss the prophecy and that is far more important than who I am.”

“Excellent, I have been mulling it over and all I seem to get are more questions from people or answers that include things I can’t remember.” I said in a frustrated tone.

“If I tell you who wrote the prophecy, would that help?”

“Maybe.” She smiled at me

“I know that you will not believe what I tell you but you will contemplate it one day soon.”

“Back to being confused.” I stated blandly

“Caden and yourself will write the prophecy.”

“No! Seriously?” I said sarcastically while she chuckled at me.

“I told you that you would not believe me. Once things settle down you two are going to start wondering where the prophecy came from. It will start you on a road that will take you back to its original author, which I am sure will surprise you.” She explained with a smile.

“But it’s in my handwriting.”

“Yes, your point being?” She raised one arched brow even higher.

“So does that make me the instigator of all this?”

“No actually.” I was a bit disappointed with her answer, just once I would like to be the special one doing something that would save the world, I sighed, but it was just not meant to be.