Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom was, well Uncle Tom. There is no perfect way to describe him really. My mom tells me that back when my dad and her were still dating, he was the biggest prankster of them all. He would make everyone laugh and have a good time wherever he went. And I remember that too. Days where he would come and suprise Sean and I with small gifts or random trips to the zoo...

   But one day it all changed.

   No one really knows what happened. It could have been a sudden ambition to grow up, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed, but he was different. Now he walks around quiet and sullen all of the time and only talks when it is absolutely necessary. No on recognizes him any more.

   And you're supposed to go out with him.... alone?!?

   I hear the door bell ring as I finish packing your back pack with some extra clothes. I grab your favorite purple sweatshirt off of my desk chair and go downstairs to open the door nervously.

   "You ready?"  a gruff voice asks from outside. I nod and a hand reaches in to grab the suitcase that had been waiting at the bottom of the staircase. At that point mom walks in drying her hands on a kitchen towel and beckons towards the door.

   "Was that him?" I keep nodding as she puts the towel down and reaches to hug me. She takes your head in her hands and looks directly into your eyes, "I'll write every single day. I promise. You're going to have the time of your life ok?"

   I sit in silence for the entire car ride until Uncle Tom stops the car in front of what looks to be a rickety building. Looking outside the car window it doesn't look like very much at all. In fact, it looks like exactly the place an eleven year old girl should definitely not be. Suddenly the car door opens and Uncle Tom is already pulling out the suitcases from the trunk and walk towards the building with the swinging sign that says "The Leaky Cauldron". I shrug slightly and push myself out of the car, following Uncle Tom slowly.

   He opens the door to The Leaky Cauldron and all of the noise stops. I look up to see everyone that was in there stop and stare at us. Uncle Tom just plows through the crowd of people into a back alley way, where there was no way to go. Before you could say anything he taps a couple of bricks and without any second to think, they begin to move and turn into an archway.

   'Welcome to Diagon Alley" and he sweeps inside.