Huh?

*Tap, Tap*

    I blink a couple of times to get used to the sunlight streaming in over your bed. I push the covers aside and after a couple seconds of groaning finally manage to pull myself up and sit on the side of my bed, where I  slip my feet into the slippers before peering over at the window. 

   An owl.

    I rub your eyes again and look over at the window again. No, I was definitely not dreaming. I quietly pad over to the window to make sure it wasn't fake. It would be just the thing my brother would pull in the first day of summer break. But then it moves its head. At this point I was having a staring contest with the bird, but once the tears start gathering I blink quickly, gather the courage, and open the window.

  The owl gracefully swoops in and lands on my desk where you can no see an envelope tied to its leg. I tip toe over and with trembling fingers take the envelope. The owl then hops off the desk and flies out of the open window. It takes a few minutes of silence for me to finally look down at the envelope.

                                                         To: Sophia Green

                                                         322 Sherwood Avenue

                                                         3rd bedroom to the right of the stairs

My brain goes immediately to my brother and his stupid pranks, but was he really that clever? And how easy was it to get an owl around these parts? 

   I skim the letter quickly and once the words Hogwarts and magic school become apparent it's practically obvious that is was him. I stuff the letter in the pocket of my sweatshirt and walk downstairs towards the kitchen.

   I peek around the door frame to check if my brother was in there only to catch mom half asleep in her cereal. I smile mischievously before, " GOOD MORNING MOTHER!" I burst out laughing as her head comes flying up only to give me a tired glare.

   "There's breakfast on the counter. Feed yourself" I walk over to the counter and immediately the wonderful smell of warm chocolate-chip pancakes meets my nose. I grab a couple alogn with a sufficient quantity of Nutella and walk back to the table where in between bites I tell my mom about the letter.

    "Sean sure is getting smarter about these things isn't he? But magic school? And where do you even think he got the name Hogwarts anyway? Probably from one of those weird forums online.." But I trail off when I notice she had gotten a strange look on her face. "Mom?"