Rogue | 3

After the shopping mall trip and more sausage rolls, it was back to work time. Austin fell in his chair and stared at the computer screen, his eyes drained after working all night.

Finally, finally, he'd achieved contact.

Using a network only certain soldiers were given access to, he was set on a live identification protocol with a specialist named "Manson". He confirmed his identity, providing specific information, and soon the name switched to "Rowan".

"Skyrise?"

"Yes, sir."

"We need to know what's going on."

"Of course. I just need a ticket out of here."

"Where are you?"

Austin paused. He knew that, no matter how protected and encrypted the Pentagon communication systems were, trouble was everywhere. And the only WiFi he had felt like it was getting weaker every second.

"I'm on the run in Russia. And I don't have my passport. No documents. Asking for a soldier to fly in and hand in an extra copy is too much and will take time, I understand. All I need is a fake ID and I'll close the operation."

"We can send it overnight. Which area are you in? And how are you transport-wise?"

"We've been able to go by train. Don't know what kind of transportation there is here."

"....we?"

Austin gritted his teeth. Never had a word sounded so ominous on text before. He'd slipped. There was so much to explain, but not now.

"RE-CR163 if this computer's GPS is correct."

"We're sending it as an Amazon package as soon as possible. It's a pressure cooker for Johnathan Miller."

"Thank you."

"Don't. Mission control blew up here. We're going to have to deal with you very carefully."

"I understand."

"And one last thing. Yes or no?"

"Yes or no what?"

"You know what I'm talking about."

"Did you kill him?"

Austin closed his eyes and let his fingers type away, almost as if he didn't want to see the words.

"I don't know."

"We're thoroughly disappointed in you, agent."

"I understand."

"You understand? I know you understand. You always understand. It's time you start doing something about it, boy."

And with that, the connection jumped.

Connection unstable/insecure. You have been cut off.

Austin pushed himself off the chair and punched the wall.

Their hotel barely had heating. They were stuck in a lost little town and surviving on Chrissie's credit card.

Speaking of Chrissie, she said she would be hanging out among the local shops. What was he supposed to say to her? Oops, the wifi doesn't work, turns out we'll be stuck here for a couple months?

Austin grabbed the apartment keys (though the walls were so thin he bet anyone could knock them down if they wanted) and slipped on his newly bought winter jacket. At least Chrissie had style.

Apart from the situation, being a "freelance" agent didn't seem so bad. Compared to the army, where it was all crew cuts and cargo uniforms and waking up at 5...he could do with some freedom.

"AAH!"

Austin jerked up in alarm. He hurried down the stairs.

The hotel lady was bent over with a rag. White pieces of ceramic and a brown liquid were spilled all over the carpet.

Austin stepped around it gingerly and proceeded out the door at the lady's scowl.

He started walking towards the shopping center, realizing once again they really were in such a silent, abandoned town.

"aaaahhhHELP!"

It couldn't have been the hotel lady this time. He doubted she needed help with cleaning up-

Austin rounded the corner.

It was a clear day, the sunlight seemed to reflect off the ice; but all Austin could see was two large men in dark coats and the silver blade that was pressed against Chrissie's neck.