Briefings

13 years ago

"For the last time, please, listen to me!" Charles trailed behind breathlessly. "This is NOT going to lead to good things!"

"Stop. We've decided." Rowan ordered.

"What do you think they're going to do, once we reveal we have this- this- assassin?"

"Charles," Rowan said again warningly.

"They're going to create their own terminator, that will kill for its own orders. And Russia, and China, and everyone else will want to create and control their own war machine! World leaders will be trying to eliminate each other like that."

"Enough!" Rowan turned on him angrily. "We have decided, he will bring on the mission, and that's that. You don't have to worry about him."

"Oh, I'm not worried about him." Charles snorted. "I'm worried of what will become of the future. Of the world. Of warfare as we know it-"

Rowan walked away, shaking his head in irritation.

"You know it's going to happen!" Charles called to him, defiance and worry in his voice.

"Countries will send out their own super assassins to eliminate whoever they need out of their way. And then what? No one will be left to rule. Not when every world figure is dead, thanks to the rivalry figure ordering their personal assassin to take them out. You know it, Rowan."

-------

The scientist was crouched down in front of a little boy.

"Now, be good and listen to what they say, alright?"

"Why are you crying, daddy?"

"Make me proud, alright? Grow strong and healthy. Promise me something, hey?"

The boy looked on with large bright eyes.

"Promise me...promise me you'll think with your heart."

"But daddy-"

The scientist put his hands on the boy's shoulders, a tear slipping down his cheek.

"They'll make you do things that you might not want to do. Promise that you won't be just a soldier, you'll think for yourself and for others."

"I- I promise, dad."

"That's my good boy." The scientist hugged him, and the boy's little arms grasped on to the white coat. He could sense something was wrong.

"Where- where am I going? Where are you going?"

"That'll be enough, Dr Frederic." One of the guards interrupted in a deep voice.

The scientist stepped back, wiping his eyes.

"Goodbye! Be yourself! Don't let them change who you are, okay? Remember what I said. Remember your promise!"

The service guards held the boy's arms and began escorting him away.
"Daddy?"

The deep voiced guard pulled Dr F around the corner of the hallway.

The boy never stopped looking back, blinking hard.

"Goodbye?..."

-------

"He's had a proper education, I presume?"

"Of course, sir." Dr F said.

"Good. He's ready for military training. I want him in the top, finest Pentagon training program."

"Right away." Assured military chief Rowan.

"As for Project Ironhide?"

"It's proceeding well." Another head scientist replied. "On small surfaces. It should only be a matter of time before we expand it to full human skin."

"Let's hope it's ready when Skyrise is."

The supreme general closed his fist.

"And Operation North Star will be ready to commence."

In the corner of the room, Charles watched with his head in his hands.