New Eden (Chapter 28)

NEW EDEN

Thirty-two Fox survivors remained after the fire, but more should have survived. Most of those who died were lost below decks when they went in to grab their possessions. It was a funny thing how, even at the end of the world, people were so attached to their possessions that they risked their lives for them.

The final casualty, Don, was found dead this morning when he didn't wake. Doc figured the man had succumbed to an internal injury since his lower back was bruised and distended. His daughter, Alana, refused to let go of him and had to be dragged away. She screamed until she fainted.

The snow covered everything in a light blanket of white, making the world look deceptively clean. The house smelled like pungent smoke since no one had washed up last night, and we only had the smoky, filthy clothes on our backs. It took nearly an hour to hook up the only surviving portable generator to the well pump, and another four hours for everyone to wash up with ice cold water.

We didn't get on the road until noon, and we had no breakfast or lunch served. Vicki, with some help from Joe, had collected wild leaves and made tea to curb everyone's hunger. About a dozen of us, who always wore "every day carry" packs, had protein bars and water filters. I'd given one of my bars to Benji but none to anyone else. It wasn't because I was selfish. It was because we needed to maintain our strength so we could find food for the others. It didn't stop people from eying me with disdain as I zipped up my backpack and slid it over my shoulders, though.

Clutch and Tyler had constantly told people to always carry emergency bags, but few actually did. I wanted to tell each and every one of them to fuck off, that I'd gladly give any one of them a bar if they were willing to go find food. Except they didn't want to earn the bar. They just wanted the handout.

"Let's load up," Tyler announced to the room full of people, without making eye contact with anyone.

I frowned. Always before, Tyler had an underlying warm tone to his words. Since yesterday, everything he said was hard and to the point. He kept his arms crossed over his chest, and he didn't even respond when Vicki hugged him. It was like he'd completely closed himself off from everyone.

"I'll take the lead vehicle," Tyler said. "Griz and Jase will take the scout vehicle. They will advance ahead of the convoy and recon any houses for food. Clutch and Cash will cover our flank. We'll head north until we can safely cross the river. We'll stop outside the first town we reach today to split up and search for food. Any questions?"

"Why don't we stay here?" someone asked. "Have the scouts go for food like they've always done."

"Since we know the area around the river has already been picked clean, we need to move on. There's nothing here for us."

"What's our destination?" Frost asked. Diesel sprawled around Benji, both napping next to the older man. Frost had never given the dog any food meant for people, but when the Aurora burned so had all of Diesel's kibble. The dog, just like everyone else, no longer had anything to eat. Already, the griping had started. Complaints that the dog would take precious food.

Complaining about a dog wasn't a serious issue, but it revealed the mood of Camp Fox. If relationships were collapsing the first day on the road, we wouldn't last three days before everyone was at one another's throats.

"We're heading back toward Fox Hills since we're familiar with the area and the herds should've passed through there at least a week ago. We'll stop along the way at any place that's safe and has food, including every military base and armory so we can replenish our gear."

"What if we don't find food," someone else asked, and several others chimed in agreement.

Tyler didn't even pause. "Then we go hungry."