Lust (Chapter 27)

Embers showered down like glitter around the Aurora while ammo continued to go off in barge Three by the box-load. Clutch's team was already on board the towboat and helping with the evacuation. Joe brought over the first pontoon packed shoulder-to-shoulder with coughing, crying people. Joe's face was covered with black ash as he pulled the pontoon up to the dock on the eastern bank by what was left of the bridge.

Jase and I looked at one another, and then we both ran toward the pontoon. Other than smoke inhalation and shock, no one looked seriously injured. Jase and I helped anyone who seemed to be struggling off the boat and onto the bank. Once it was clear, I jumped on the pontoon to where Joe was curled over the steering wheel. "What do you need help with?"

Joe's reply was smothered by a cough, although he eventually looked up with tearing, bloodshot eyes and gave me a thumb up.

I held my rifle out to him. "I can take the next trip. Can you cover the people here?"

He nodded, still holding his chest.

"I'll drive," Jase said as a matter-of-fact and set his rifle down next to him.

I sat down just as he throttled full-forward, and the pontoon cut through the water. Midway, we met Griz's boat, also filled with people. All of the barges were covered in flames, and the towboat was covered in smoke. Someone plummeted into the water to our right as we headed around the boat to the boat dock. I couldn't make out who he was because as soon as he surfaced, something yanked him right back under. I searched but could find no one under the murky water.

I swallowed and sat back. As we approached the dock, a zed was chewing on Hugh, while his daughter Hali was trying to pull him free. He looked unconscious, which was small consolation. I grabbed Jase's rifle and fired two shots: one into the zed and one into the doomed victim. Hali stood back, stunned, her big blue eyes and mouth opened wide. Jase cut the engine and jumped out. '

He wrapped his arm around Hali and led her back to the pontoon. "I've got you. It's going to be okay now." She went with him like she was a robot, seemingly oblivious to his presence.

On the other side of the dock, the deck boats were being filled, with Deb leading the effort. I searched for Clutch but didn't see him anywhere. I handed Jase his rifle back. "I'm going to find Clutch. Can you keep it clear down here until we get back?"

He looked at me directly and gave a single firm nod, still holding Hali with his other arm. "Hurry."

I ran for the ladder and waited for two scouts to climb down. Both were laden down with olive drag duffles. As soon as they were on the ground, I grabbed onto the ladder. "Just about everyone is down, and this is the last of the supplies we could get to," one of them said with a hoarse voice. "The final team is wrapping up on deck now."

I didn't wait. The metal was warm under my palms, and I climbed as quickly as I could. As soon as I reached the rail, I pulled myself over and stood. There was fire shooting up through the deck everywhere. Smoke burned my lungs, and I coughed on the black air. The bow was engulfed in flames. Two charred bodies lay hunched over in the fire, and I prayed neither was Clutch.

Frantic, I searched for anyone alive on the chaotic deck. Then I saw them. My heart leapt and air shot from my lungs. Clutch was helping a man down the edge of the deck onto the lift. Right behind him, Tyler was carrying Maggie who was quacking on about something. Even in this hell, I couldn't help but smile in relief at seeing Clutch and Tyler. Keeping a hand on the rail, I hustled to meet them, careful to avoid burning or smoking deck boards. I reached out and grabbed his arm, just to feel him and know he was real. "Is that everyone?"

Clutch, his face blackened, frowned in shock. "What are—"

"Is this everyone?" I asked again. "Can we leave now?"