Meeting the Family

Meeting the Family

The drive to Alice's was incredibly quiet. Alice barely spoke other than to tell me where to turn. I had obvious thoughts on my mind such as whether or not to go through with meeting a family of vampires. I had no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't try to drink my blood, but some of Alice's siblings did look like they would hurt me very badly had they the chance. Rosalie, for example. I knew from our short encounter in the lunchroom, even though I didn't speak to her personally, that she didn't like me or want to be around me in any way.

Alice seemed to sense that I was more than a little worried about meeting her family. "Penny for your thoughts?" I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye to see a small smile gracing her features, a smile that could make an iceberg melt.

"I don't know if I should actually tell you or not." She pouted a little, crossing her arms over her chest and looking like a child in her seat next to me.

"Now Bella, you've told me all of your deep dark secrets, and you know mine. Why in the world would you think that you shouldn't tell me anything? I highly doubt anything you say could surprise me." She looked over at me expectantly as I glanced at her again. It was very hard not to look at her, even if I was driving.

Sighing, I pulled over on the side of the road before turning so I could face Alice better. "I'm just worried about how they'll react to me being there." She opened her mouth to interrupt me, but I held up my hand to stop her. "No, Alice. Hear me out." She nodded a little hesitantly, raising an eyebrow slightly in confusion. "Your entire family has been living in secret for years now. Probably hundreds for some of them for all I know." I had started to use my hands to exaggerate my sentences. "And then here I come, changing everything that they all know. Not to mention you're all, like, perfect. I mean, I'm almost blinded every time I see you because you're so freaking beautiful. It's ridiculous, really."

Alice seemed to be watching my hands move through the air until the last sentences, in which time she grabbed them and pulled them down to lay between us, hers gently gripping mine. "Bella, calm down. Deep breath." I did as she instructed, already feeling a bit better after getting that all off my chest. Not to mention Alice was holding my hand- always a bonus. "I need you to listen now, though." I nodded waiting for her to continue. "Yes, you are coming into our lives and changing everything we know. But who's to say that isn't for the better? The moment I saw you coming into my life, I knew it was going to be changed forever. All those years ago when I first saw you, I knew I had to have you in my life in some way. It was just a feeling..." She trailed off as she noticed me looking at her oddly. I watched her face as she went back through what she had just said. She apparently realized what had confused me, for she quickly backtracked. "I mean, I just saw you then. A vision, you know?"

"No, Alice. I really don't know. What are you talking about?" I was completely and utterly confused. Alice seemed to notice that she hadn't mentioned something important before.

"Oh! I guess I kind of skipped over that part when I was explaining things to you." She smiled at me innocently before continuing. I had noticed that she hadn't let go of my hands yet, though hers were rubbing mine a bit more in what I could only assume to be unease. "Well, some of my family members have powers."

"You mean other than the whole super speed and strength?" She laughed a little.

"Yes, other than those. We believe that each of our powers come from our human lives. Almost like becoming a vampire amplified things that we could originally do. Edward, for example, was extraordinary at reading people as a human. Now, he can read minds. Jasper can feel and control emotions. Emmett is incredibly strong, even for a vampire." She paused then, avoiding the one that I really wanted to know about. I decided to let it slide for the time being because I was curious about the others.