A Long First Day

A Long First Day

The rest of class passed by without anything too drastic happening. Alice and I finished our assignment with plenty of time left in class to get to know each other. Apparently she has three brothers and a sister, though they were all adopted. They've travelled a lot, never staying in one place for more than a couple of years because they "get bored easily". Her words, not mine.

"Yeah, I don't think that we've stayed in one place more than a few years since I've joined this family, to be honest. Our father moves a lot because of his work. A lot of hospitals want his expertise in the field," she explained to me after I looked at her questionably.

Alice seemed to notice that I didn't like talking a lot about my past because she bypassed all questions alluding to it. Of this I was grateful. I was actually quite sad when I heard the bell ring, signaling the end of class.

"What's your schedule like? We may have more classes together," Alice commented as she walked with me to the door. She seemed to notice right away that I didn't want to part with her, and took it upon herself to make sure that I had a walking buddy to my next class.

"Uhm... Looks like I have math next. Then lunch followed by a free period and then gym," I answered after pulling the already torn schedule out of my bag.

"Oh that's great! So we have math and free period together. And of course lunch, which you probably already knew." She smiled widely at me as if this news made her day. I couldn't help but smile in return.

I hadn't noticed that we had stopped until someone ran into my backpack, effectively forcing it off of my shoulder and onto the floor. I stumbled forward trying to regain my balance before looking down at the mess that had once been the contents of my bag. "Lovely," I said more to myself than to anyone else. As I was bending down to start cleaning it all up, Alice began to yelled at the person that had run into me.

"Hey, you! You just ran into my friend here. Why don't you help her clean up her things?" I glanced up at her completely surprised that she would ever yell. She had a hard look set in her eyes as she glared at the boy that had run into me. He walked back swiftly to help clean up my things. With our combined efforts, everything that had fallen was quickly put back into my bag. "You may want to apologize," Alice said to the boy as he stood back up to leave. He quickly mumbled out an apology, more out of fear of what Alice would do if he didn't than anything else.

"You didn't need to do that, Alice," I told her as the boy scurried away quickly back down the hall. I was still surprised that he turned back around to help me at all.

"No, I shouldn't have needed to. He should have stopped to help on his own, but boys these days are self-centered and inconsiderate." She seemed to notice that she was rambling and quickly turned back to smile at me again. "Shall we continue to class?" She grabbed my hand and turned to walk down the hall after I nodded in agreement.

We made it to Math with only a moment to spare. The bell rang as soon as we walked through the door. Alice had let go of my hand by then and was walking toward her desk, leaving me to talk with the teacher. She seemed nice enough, and tried not to stare. After she signed my note, I quickly made my way to the empty seat next to Alice, preparing myself for another uneventful class.

Much like Science, I couldn't concentrate on anything the teacher was saying. But I did find out that Alice likes to draw, and suffice it to say she's amazing. Two pages were filled in her notebook by the end of class with her sketches. I wanted to let her know that I thought she was incredibly talented, but felt that saying that would be awkward. Instead I just smiled at her after she put her book back in her bag. "Ready to go?"