A Chance Encounter

A Chance Encounter

"Isabella Swan? The Isabella Swan?" Oh boy. Here we go again.

"Yes, sir. Isabella Swan," I responded as calmly as I could. He gawked at me for what seemed like hours. I could feel the rest of the class staring at me even though my back was facing them. This always seemed to happen, no matter where I went. All because I was the only survivor of that stupid fire.

Mr. Banner finally snapped out of his trance and realized that he should let me sit down. He told me to take one of the two empty seats in class, which just happened to be right next to each other... in the back of the class. That's normally fine. I like sitting in the back. But having to walk back there with a class-full of students watching your every move was a little unnerving.

I tried to avoid any eye contact as I walked to my seat. Easier said than done. But, I made it there in one piece without falling; an extreme accomplishment for me.

I took my seat and put my head down on my arms. That wasn't too bad, I thought to myself. Just then, another student hurried through the door, searching through her bag that was hanging off of her arm. I so would have tripped if I tried that. I began to look away and back to the desk when she looked up. I knew her. I knew I knew her.

Our eyes connected and a light of recognition flashed across her features. I held her gaze for a moment more until she looked away and back to the teacher. They spoke for a minute, but I didn't hear any of it. I was too distracted.

I knew I knew her from somewhere. Her face just looked so familiar. It was perfect. Perfect and unforgettable. She had incredibly pale skin and almost back hair. The contrast was drastic, but it looked perfect on her. Red, pouty lips and a small nose adorned her face. And those eyes; those perfect, golden eyes... I remembered looking into them before. I just couldn't remember where.

The girl turned to walk to her seat after she finished talking with Mr. Banner. And it was in that moment that I realized the seat next to me must belong to her. It was, after all, the only empty seat left in class. As she walked toward me, my eyes were drawn to her continuously. I tried to look away, but couldn't. She was just looked so familiar. Not to mention beautiful. Any sane person would be attracted to her.

I tried with all my might not to stare at her as she walked toward me and finally took her seat just a foot from me. She just moved so perfectly, fluidly even. She was incredibly graceful in every movement.

Mr. Banner had began his lecture again as I was examining the girl next to me. She seemed to be completely collected, even though she just arrived to class late. As she pulled out her pencil and notebook, she took a steadying breath and glanced over at me. That same look of recognition flashed across her features, but disappeared just as fast as it appeared.

She seemed to make a decision in that moment to say something, but the class suddenly erupted into motion. Everyone began walking to the side of the classroom to get supplies.

"I guess we had better go get our supplies then," she said to me with the most beautiful voice that I have ever heard. Apparently Mr. Banner had assigned an experiment of some kind to the class to do this period. The girl rose and began to walk to where the rest of the class was gathered, though she seemed to stay a distance away until the crowd had dissipated. I stood and walked over to her.

"So I guess we're partners," I said to her trying to strike up a conversation as we waited for our turn to get supplies.

"Looks that way," she replied with a sly grin. "You seemed distracted earlier, though. Did you hear what we're supposed to be doing?"

"Uhm... no, can't say that I did. Could you explain?" I answered shyly. I hadn't realized that she noticed me watching her.

She explained to me what we were supposed to be doing as she gathered up our supplies, occasionally passing me the odd piece of equipment that she thought I could carry back to our table. We set our equipment down on our lab table and got to work.

I realized that if I wanted to have a conversation about something other than class with this girl, I would have to be the first to begin it.

"I never did get your name, new girl." Or maybe not.

"I think 'new girl' works pretty well. It flows nicely, don't you think?" Oh what a charmer I am. That was a completely lame joke, Bella, I chastised myself.

"Well if that's what you'd like to be called, then okay," she laughed. Even her laugh was beautiful. I think I could probably die happy now. "So are you actually going to tell me your name, or shall you remain nameless to me?" She joked.

"I guess I can give you my name. But it seems so much more mysterious with you not knowing." I winked at her. Am I flirting with her? "Isabella Swan, at your service. But you can just call me Bella."

"Well, Isabella Swan, A.K.A. Bella, I'm Alice Cullen. Nice to make your acquaintance." She smiled her breathtaking smile at me and held out her hand. I shook it quickly, not wanting to insult her in any way. Her hand was incredibly cold; colder than any other that I've ever felt. She drew her hand away rather quickly and got back to work. "We may want to finish this before class is over. Mr. Banner doesn't like to be kept after class for any reason."

And with that we began to work again. Luckily, Alice seemed to know what she was doing because I was no help at all. Not that I didn't understand. I just couldn't concentrate on the work with her standing next to me. Of one thing I was absolutely certain. I knew Alice Cullen from somewhere, and I would figure out from where.