04 - lachlan

( sunday, 5:28 pm )

"you've done nothing but play minecraft since we got back," rob mumbled behind him.

lachlan immediately turned to glare in rob's direction, before averting his eyes to his computer screen once more. "it's an understandable passion that has recently evolved into an even greater passion."

"yeah?" rob answered, raising an eyebrow. lachlan obviously didn't see him raise an eyebrow—his back was facing the other—but he could feel rob's presence. like an annoying, persistent, tick. "twenty dollars you're only playing it to talk to mr. pretty boy."

lachlan swerved in his seat at that—ready to argue—before the chair twisted sharply and lachlan almost fell straight on his side, the headphone jack barely saved from being broken. the blonde groaned as he attempted to push himself up from the odd angle, his legs above him and his left arm carrying all of his weight.

rob just laughed at him.

"help me up, and don't be such a prick," lachlan scolded, glowering at the other before rob took the blonde's headphones off (as to not break them further) and pulled him up.

"lachlan?" vikk's voice came back, completely oblivious. "sorry, i had to get the door for preston, are you still there?"

lachlan glanced at rob, giving him a final scowl, before returning to his seat.

"yeah, sorry. turns out my best friend is also a dumbass—"

"your own fault," rob muttered.

"—and he just won't shut up," lachlan finished.

vikk laughed, "mine too." and even with the static and the white noise, lachlan's heart climbed all the way up to his throat.

okay.

maybe rob was a little right.

( monday, 9: 57 am )

all the upperclassmen looked at lachlan weirdly— his lanky body hiding behind an array of lockers, anxious and eager, waiting for vikk.

it was almost creepy, but, also, lachlan didn't know what else to do. he was a mess. the lockers led up to the history classroom—room 209—and all lachlan wanted to do was to walk with vikk—talk with him—in real life, as friends, no microphone or rob or preston needed.

when the first few people gave him questionable looks, he immediately thought to himself, lachlan, you are an idiot, and you're going to humiliate yourself completely.

he really was. his subconscious wasn't wrong. he was about to embarrass himself in front of vikk and make himself look like an utter moron, but it didn't matter that much to him anymore as it did the first time the anxiety hit him. as long as he could talk to vikk and make some sort of conversation with him... that was enough of a deal.

so when he saw vikk walking down the hallway, binders piled up in his arms, his eyes aimed towards the floor, lachlan smoothed a hand over his hair and approached him.

ultimately, he failed.

vikk walked straight into him, almost dropping all of his materials before lachlan caught them with his arm.

"sorry. i got you."

vikk peered at him, his expression first perplexed before his mouth widened into a grin (lachlan made sure to swallow down his butterflies). "you know," he scrunched up his nose, "i keep running into you. one day, i'll like, fall really hard on my ass, or something—i don't know. you're too tall."

lachlan laughed. "that's okay," he shrugged, "i'll catch you."

vikk smiled even wider at that, and lachlan's breathing hitched. god, he thought. i'm a mess.

"i'll count on it, power. but for now, mr. albert is going to yell at both of us," he tilted his head towards the door. "and i have a perfect attendance record to keep."

the corners of lachlan's lips curled into an affectionate smile.

"of course you do."

( monday, 11:30 am )

the lunch line was less crowded that day. lachlan didn't know why, but it seemed like a sign to him. he was walking next to vikk, and there was no one there (more specifically, rob) that could ruin the moment for him.

only, it really wasn't that much of a moment. lachlan hadn't said much since they first went inside the cafeteria. it was like the butterflies in his stomach had blocked his throat somehow, too.

"what?" lachlan asked, frowning as vikk gave him a quizzical look.

"stop staring," vikk laughed, grabbing a chocolate bar from the snack stand. "if you have something to say, spit it out."

"fine," lachlan shrugged. "i have a crush on you."

vikk raised his eyebrows and leaned closer to him. "what?"

"i said, 'there's a crush behind you.' the drink. can you pass it over?"

"oh. oh, yeah, sure. i'm sorry," vikk pressed his palm to his forehead. "it's been a long day. i thought you said something else." he reached for the crush and gave it to lachlan.

vikk turned around, looking for his own drink probably, and shook his head.

and lachlan, knowing vikk wouldn't see it, smirked at him.

--

oof, this is so late, and i'm so sorry.

happy holidays, everyone :)