CHAPTER 4

"Move it!" He shoved her forward with his gun.

Evangeline stumbled along the corridor, water dripping from her soaked jumpsuit. She could feel her hatred for the guards only growing stronger with every biting word.

She whipped her head around to bare her teeth threateningly at the two guards standing behind her, keeping her from escaping, despite the fact that she was shackled.

The female guard laughed mockingly. "Will you look at that! The little kitten is trying to be a tiger. How cute." Disgust laced her sickeningly sweet voice.

Evangeline saw red, but they weren't finished.

The male smirked. "You know, I really thought that it would be harder to defeat than this. And they call it their prodigy, their best agent? What a joke." He spat on the floor in front of Evangeline.

She gritted her teeth, growling. "Watch your mouth."

"Is that a threat?"

"What do you think?"

"Well, I'm not going to. So what are you going to do about it?" He mocked.

Evangeline tried to calm her boiling anger, taking in deep breaths and letting them out slowly. While they argued, she had moved her hands, that were cuffed behind her back, to a hidden pocket.

The female guard cooed. "Cat got your tongue?" The male laughed, and prodded Evangeline with the tip of his rifle.

Something within her snapped, and she attacked, pulling out a small knife.

She gripped the hilt with both of her shackled hands, and appeared before the man, fast as a viper, slashing his hands that were holding his gun. Caught off guard, he yelped and let go of the gun, cradling his bloody hands. The gun clattered to the ground, the sound of it hitting the ground echoing.

The woman got over her shock and brought up her gun to aim at Evangeline, shouting down the long empty corridor for backup.

In the moment that the gun sounded, Evangeline crossed her wrists so the chains of her shackles made a loop, and wrapped then around the man's neck, then uncrossing her hands and pulling the short chains, choking him. He frantically pulled on the chains, but to no avail. She kicked her legs under one of his arms, which were gripping the chains, and up behind his back, flipping herself upside down. Her agility, flexibility, and speed rivaled that of a cat's. In less than a second after she did this, the bullet hit the male guard in his abdomen, which started to spurt blood. He let out a strangled cry.

Evangeline untangled her chains, and twisted and wrapped her body around the wounded guard, using her momentum and sending him to the ground. Disentangling herself when his knees buckled, she launched off his collapsing body and rolled towards the female guard, another bullet narrowly missing her.

The guard shot as fast as she could, but only one bullet hit Evangeline, in the shoulder, which she ignored. The woman screamed when Evangeline finally threw her knife, which embedded into her chest.

Evangeline began to run down the corridor, looking for an escape, but within moments, she was overwhelmed by enemy agents. They detained her, replacing her shackles with handcuffs that had practically nonexistant chains, they were so short, and shackles on her ankles. However, that took a while nontheless, since Evangeline was still putting up a fight, knocking agents out with whatever she could use, though she was soon defeated through sheer numbers.

A woman who Evangeline assumed was a leader, came forth to stand before her. "Well, well, well. I have to admit, you put up quite the fight. But did you really think you could escape us so easily?"