16 Waiting

“He has to be okay he has to be okay!” Sasha rocked back and forth in the seat she sat in the emergency room waiting area. When she heard the gunshot she assumed someone had finally put  a bullet in Banko’s crazy behind while everyone inside flinched and screamed she shook her head thinking ‘damn it’s about time somebody did it’ From what Tahj has told her Banko was out of control beating up women and constantly giving Carter a hard time. But when Don went out to see and came back telling them to call an ambulance and refused to look her in the eyes Sasha knew something was terribly wrong. So she told Olivia to stay with Kali so she could see what was going on. Nothing she has ever experienced could prepare her for the sight she saw. The love of her life was laid out on the ground with Carter’s hands on his chest. Blood seeping through Carter’s fingers.

“He’s going to be fine Sasha. I promise.” Carter knew better than to make promises he couldn’t keep.

Sasha looked at Carter eyeing his blood stained shirt.“He lost so much blood.” Sasha wanted Tahj out the game because she feared him getting gunned down in the streets. So how the hell did he get shot at a six year old's birthday party!?

“What happened?” She asked Carter in desperate need to know the full story.

“Banko is a fucking fruit cake is what happened!” Nate blurted out. He was ready to kill Banko. Not because he was Gay though. Nate could care less where that guy decided to stick his dick. Nate’s problem was Banko showing up high waving that damn gun around acting like they all didn't grow up together. It never should have come to this. Nate's blood was boiling especially after Banko's hopped that fence forcing Nate to chase him. Nate chased him for five long blocks before he lost him.

Sasha gave Nate a questioning look.  “I’ll explain everything later.” Carter told her. “Let’s just focus on Tahj.”

“I want an update on my son right now!” Viola hissed grabbing up the first nurse she saw come back through the swinging doors. The poor nurse didn’t even know who this woman was or who she was talking about. She was simply coming out to get some files.

“Who?”

“TAHJ HARRIS!” Viola shouted in the girls face.

“I..I’m not on his case but I… I can find out for you.” The nurse stuttered.

“Ma relax its only been fifteen minutes.” Carter stepped in. “Let her go.”

Viola took a deep breath freeing the newbie Nurse from her grasp. “It’s been fifteen minutes too long. What kind of hospital is this!” Viola feared for her son's life and was handling it in the only way she knew how.

______________________________________________________________________________

Kali tried to look as calm as she possibly could even though she was shaking inside. Fifteen minutes ago Tahj was wheeled away with a bullet in his chest, Sasha was a train wreck, Viola was shaking down anyone with scrubs on, Carter had blood all over him. There was no room for her to be emotionally unstable she had to keep Olivia Calm. Even though by the looks of it the little girl was the calmest of them all.

“Hey kid how you doin?” Carter approached them.

“Good. playing Kali’s game.” Olivia shrugged not taking her eyes off Kali’s phone. “Mommy’s sad?”  

Carter nodded his head. “Yes. she’s very sad. Are you?”

Olivia shook her head no. “I was at first but den I remembered..” Both Kali and Carter looked down at the little girl with confused looks on their faces. “My daddy is my hero. Hero’s don't die. He gon be just fine”

“How bout you. Kali you alright?” The couple was now standing a few steps away from Olivia.

“I’m fine.” She said. “You really should send for another shirt.”  People were starting to stare. "Carter you look like a walking Crime scene.

“I’ll send Don in a few I’m just trying to make sure everybody is good.”

“Are you?” Kali asked. “It’s okay if you aren't.”

“This is all my fault.” He would only admit his guilt to her. “If I never handled the Essence situation Banko would be behind bars right now.” Looking out for his best friend could possibly cost him his big brother.  

“Don’t think of it like that. Just do things right this time.” She said nodding her head in the direction of the detective who was accompanied by two uniform police officers. They had just walked into the emergency room. Carter’s jaw tightened. Law enforcement and him didn't mix very well so to avoid any problems he avoided them like the plague. This time was different though. They wanted the same thing. They both wanted Banko off the streets. So today he would corporate. He’d give the police the information they needed to locate Banko but they wouldn't catch him first. Banko needed to pay for everything he has done and Carter would make sure he pays with his life.

_______________________________________________________________________

They sat through the police and their long list of question’s, Survived Viola’s random outburst Don even left and returned with a change of clothes for Carter and still there was no news on Tahj. Waiting that was definitely the worst part. Sasha thought for sure that she was going to lose her mind. She nearly jumped down the doctors throat when he came out and called for the family of a Tahj Harris badgering him with questions

“It was touch and go for a while he has lost a lot of blood the bullet pierced his lung .”The doctor informed them. “But we managed to get the bullet out and repair the the damage the bullet did to his lung.”

For the first time and hours Sasha could breathe without her heart feeling like it was going to explode.“When can I see him?” Sasha asked again eager to see her man.

The doctor could see there was a lot of people behind her. “Two at a time. and one could stay overnight in case he wakes up and need’s to see a familiar face.”

Viola and Olivia went in to see him first followed by Carter and Kali then Nate and Don. Sasha decided she would go last because she planned on staying overnight anyway.

“I’ll get this little one home.” Viola said referring to her tired looking granddaughter.

“You are not taking her anywhere!” Sasha blurted out. Viola was a snake and Sasha new Tahj wouldn't want Viola taking their little girl anywhere.

“Why not!” Viola thought she was being especially nice to Sasha lately so this was coming out of no where in her eyes. “Where else is she going to go Sasha!”

“Home. She is going home to sleep in her bed.” Sasha told her. “Carter can you and Kali take her there stay the night with her. Please.” They both nodded.

“What is your problem.”

She wanted so badly to tell Viola why she couldn't take Olivia but This wasn't the time and it wasn't her place to say. “Just go home. When Tahj wakes up I’m sure he explain everything to you.”

Walking away from Viola was the best thing she could do for everybody. She didn't want to argue screaming and fighting about who was taking Olivia home was pointless. Soon enough Viola would be seen for the evil, vindictive deceiving bitch she really is.