03 - wyatt harrington

U N K N O W N

     Time was an illusion.

     I didn't know how long I kept walking. Didn't know how many shots I drank or how many zones I passed—that's what they were. To pass each "zone," you had to drink a shot. And there were a lot of them. Apparently the host of the party (the infamous Laney Burke, who I still hadn't met yet) thought it was funny to make sure everyone in this party was wasted. From personal experience, her plan was working splendidly. Kudos to you, Laney.

     (Fuck you, Laney.)

     My body was sluggish and I could barely hold my balance.

     I wasn't drunk.

     (I was so drunk.)

     It was so overwhelming and the pounding in my head was getting worse that I had to stumble upon my old friend, the White Wall. It was a different wall, though, because it had a light dent on it. I wondered who'd mistreated them so badly. 

    "Thanks for sticking up for me," I murmured, laying my forehead against it.

     Are you okay?

     Whoa. Did the wall just talk to me?

    "Are you... in there?" I whispered, turning my cheek to press my ear.

    "I said, are you okay?"

    "AH!" I jumped back and found myself staring at two beautiful people. 

     And when I said beautiful, I truly meant Greek god and goddess material. And they were looking at me right this second. Oh, God. I was ready to melt down the floor. I wasn't worthy of their attention. Would they notice if I didn't move? I made myself freeze, spreading my arms on the wall behind me like a chameleon.

     Greek God waved his hand in front of my face. "She's intoxicated, isn't she?"

    "Yeap." Greek Goddess offered me a smile. "Hey, do you need water?"

     I blinked. 

    "I'm not sure she has the capacity of human interaction."

    "Just get her some water, please." The boy went away and the girl focused back on me. "Why are you frozen like that?"

    "You're pretty," I breathed.

     She chuckled. "I'm just Justine. And you are?"

    "Ugly."

     Justine gasped. "Don't say that! You're absolutely gorgeous! I wished I had brown eyes like yours, with the way you're, uh... staring at me."

     I gave her a hazy smile.

    "Here's the last water bottle I could find." The boy handed it to me and quickly pulled his arm back, wiping it on his dress shirt like it was contaminated by sweat and hormones.

    "Thanks." As per Greek Goddess's request, I chugged the entire thing, but in the last moment I felt a rising bile in my throat... like I was about to— "Please excuse me."

     I ran as fast as my legs could carry me to the back patio.

     The doors banged open as I basically catapulted into them, and the moment I crouched down was the exact time the bile finally went out of my mouth. It wasn't a lot of vomit, per say, mostly dry heaving, but my head was feeling lighter now. It was enough to get me to sober up a bit.