06 - hit & run

1 2 : 5 8  A M

     Red, seductive lights filtered the entire room, making the club more ominous than it already was. It was already packed, as it was the golden hour of drink-until-you're-smashed, apparently. I suddenly felt self-conscious over my body, wishing I had worn leggings or at least something else to cover up my over-exposed legs. 

     But Wyatt looked like he could fit in, even if he was a bit out of place with his light blue dress shirt and cargo pants.

     It was always easy for him.

    "You okay?!" Wyatt yelled in my ear, his hand firmly on the small of my back. I burned at his touch, but didn't ask him to pull away.

    "Yeah!" (Not really.) "Let's talk to the bartender!"

     Jess was a frequent here so she'd told me a few times about how she became close with one or two bartenders. My guess was that at least one of them had to know about her—assuming we were lucky enough to stumble upon their shifts—and if they did, about her whereabouts.

     The fact that I had to walk up to strangers for information proves that I was a pretty horrible best friend.

     It took us a while to migrate from the entrance to the centre of the club, but we managed to find an empty spot—after shoving shoulders and cursing off strangers, of course. I didn't want to lie; I was pretty much scared shitless of this place. Mostly because I never went to clubs without Jessica by my side. She knew the tricks. I didn't know shit.

     I felt safe that Wyatt was here.

     Harrington looks like he'd do anything for you, Chris had remarked.

     I bit back a giddy smile.

    "Hey!" Wyatt shouted, trying to get the attention of the bartender. "Excuse me?!"

     The bartendera girl maybe around her late-20sturned her head. "Just a minute, sweetie!" She busied herself making a few drinks and, after a few satisfied customers, came to us with a grin. "What can I get for you lovebirds?"

    "We're not a couple!" I stuttered at the same time Wyatt rambled, "We're not together!"

     The girl raised her eyebrows. "You had me fooled!" Her eyes zeroed in on the arm that Wyatt had around my waist, his hand on the counter next to me as if to block my body from the crowd with his.

    "We thought you could help us!" Wyatt cleared his throat. Was it just the red lights, or did I not imagine the faded pink blooming on his cheeks? "One of our friends is a frequent here. Her name's Jess! Do you know her?!"

    "Jess?!"

    "Tall, Asian, likes to say dick a lot!" I helped.

    "Ah, yes! Jess!" She grinned. "That little dove! I've talked to her a couple of times! Why?!"

    "I can't find her!" I let out. "We were at a party and things went south pretty quick! I've been trying to call her but she won't answer! Have you seen her around tonight?!"

    "Can't say I have!" she yelled. "Sorry!"

     My chest caved in.

     When the girl went to the back to ask other bartenders, they all said the same thing: they hadn't seen her all night. Which meant she wasn't even here in the first place.