02 - tequila shots

1 0 : 0 5  P M

     We stood in front of the big, looming mansion, the bass booming from the walls so much that it felt like the entire Earth was shaking. The cream coating of paint on the house seemed to glow under the dim, yellow lights, almost daring us to come in. There were neatly trimmed hedges and bushes surrounding the getaway area like a little make-shift garden, and the house itself was situated in a gated neighbourhood and up the hill, mostly secluded from the hustle and bustle below.

     Everything here screamed rich and wealthy to me.

     The one cobblestone path led to the front door. Waiting. Inviting.

     Oh, fuck it. I could do it.

     I was Sydney Jenkins, for fuck's sake.

    "I'm going to regret this," I grinned at Jess sardonically, looping my arm with hers as we walked towards the door.

     At least we both cleaned up nicely. Jess wore a fitting black dress, her hair down straight and her signature gold bracelet around her wrist; I was sporting a white top and shredded shorts, my blonde hair in a messy bun. Her look was comprised of dark undertones while I chose a softer palette. I was like the angel to her devil.

     I mentioned this to her, to which she replied, "Fuck you, you basically called me Satan."

     Our bravado, however, quickly died when we came face-to-face with two bouncers on guard. Both were covered in either piercings, bleached hair or tattoos covering every inch possible.

     Jess and I visibly gulped.

    "Can I help you?" one of them snapped.

    "We're here for the party," Jess faltered a bit.

    "Names?"

    "Sydney Jenkins and Jessica Harden."

     The one guy flipped over his sheet of pages, then muttered to his friend, eyeing us and then the papers again. He closed them shut. "You're not on the list."

     Both of us looked at each other. Wyatt's post didn't say it included having a name on a list. We just assumed it was an open invite. Not some private bash.

     What kind of party was this?

     The double doors bursted open and came out a girl with long platinum locks and smokey eyes, wearing a schoolgirl outfit that resembled something out of School of Rock. I knew I shouldn't have been intimidated because I had a good head over her, but she absolutely oozed confidence and boldness and I-don't-give-two-shits-about you. Especially with the way she was staring at us right now.

     Platinum Girl looked at us and the bouncers. "Do we have a problem?"

    "Wyatt invited us," I blurted.

     Shit.

     She peered at me. "Wyatt who? I know a lot of Wyatts, sweetie."

     Double shit. 

     The name sounded so foreign in my lips, and yet...

    "Wyatt Harrington."

     She lifted her eyebrows. "Is that so?" We both feverishly nodded. "And what did you say your name was again?"