Chapter 41: Mercy

We keep moving through the jail. The three other prisoners still look shaken up over Big Tiny's gruesome death, but Tomas doesn't show any sign of emotion. T-dog and Oscar take the lead while Rick, Daryl, and I take up the rear.

"We can't break formation like that again," Rick says. "Next time, it could be all of us, not just one person."

We enter a room full of old washing machines. There's a locked set of doors at one end and growling can be heard from behind it. Rick tosses Tomas the keys.

"I ain't opening that," he insists.

"Oh yes you are. You're the one who wants this cell block," Rick says. "Only open one, not both. We need to control this."

Tomas rolls his eyes and grabs the keys. He thrusts one into the lock and turns it.

"You bitches ready?" he asks.

He pulls on the door a few times, before finally, both doors fly open and walkers spill in.

"I said one!" Rick yells as he stabs a walker.

"Shit happens!" Tomas yells back.

We move quickly. Arrows fly, axes swing, and walkers fall to the ground. Tomas swings his machete, almost hitting Rick, but he dodges it and shoots him a look.

I stab another walker, and Tomas grabs one by its prison clothes and throws it onto Rick, pinning him on the ground.

"RICK!" I yell.

I push Tomas out of the way and sink my knife into the walker's head. Daryl is by my side immediately, helping Rick up as I shove the walker off of him.

When I turn around, Andrew smashes the last walker's head in, and it goes silent in the laundromat.

Rick glares at Tomas, and I do too.

"It was coming at me, bro," Tomas says, shrugging.

"Yeah. I get it. I get it," Rick says. "Shit happens."

They stand, face to face, staring at each other. I look between the two of them, as does everyone else.

That's when Rick swings his machete, planting it firmly into Tomas' head, then yanking it out, kicking Tomas' body to the side.

"NO!" Andrew screams.

He rushes forwards, his bloody baseball bat raised. Rick kicks him in the gut and he falls. Taking one last look at us, he scrambles up, disappearing down the hallway.

"I've got him!" Rick yells, running after him.

"Get on the ground!" Daryl orders, his crossbow aimed at Oscar's head. "Both of you!"

They lower themselves to the ground, hands in the air. T-dog has his gun trained on Axel's head.

"We have no idea what just happened! I swear we weren't in on it!" Axel says.

"Shut up," I order.

"Tell them Oscar," Axel begs.

"Just listen to the girl," Oscar replies.

I walk to the door, gun held up and ready. I can faintly hear someone's footsteps echoing down the hallway. Soon, Rick returns. He holds his gun up to Oscar's head.

"We didn't have anything to do with that," Oscar says, trying to stay calm.

"You didn't know? You knew. Daryl, let's finish this now," Rick yells angrily.

Daryl pulls his knife and holds it to Oscar's throat, and Rick holds his gun to Axel's temple.

"Rick! Don't!" I say. "Let them defend themselves."