Chapter 57: Murder

The next day, Rick, Daryl, and I are called to where Karen and David are being quarantined. We're led outside by Tyreese, who shows us their burnt carcasses. I cover my nose at first, the smell absolutely terrible.

"You found them like this?" Rick asks.

"I came to see Karen. Then I saw the blood on the floor," Tyreese says, pointing to the red trail. "Then I smelled them. Sombody dragged them out here, and set them on fire. They killed them and set them on fire!"

We stay silent, and Tyreese moves towards Rick, his face furious.

"You're a cop. You find out who did this and you bring 'em to me. You understand? You bring 'em to me!" he demands.

"We'll find out who-" Daryl starts, touching Tyreese's shoulder.

Tyreese shakes him off, continuing to stare at Rick.

"Do I have to say it again?"

"No. No. Look, I understand how you're feeling," Rick says. "I've been there. You've seen me there. It's dangerous."

"Karen didn't deserve this!" Tyreese yells. "David didn't deserve it. Nobody does."

"Come on man," Daryl says, reaching towards him again. "Let's just-"

"I ain't going no where until I find out who did this!" Tyreese yells, turning and shoving Daryl into some metal bars, the front of his vest balled up in his fists.

I step forwards, and he holds his hand out, stopping me.

"We're on the same side man," Daryl says softly, shaking his head.

"Hey, look, I get what you're going through. We've all lost someone, but you need to calm down," Rick says.

"You need to step the hell back!" Tyreese yells, releasing Daryl.

"She wouldn't want you being like this," Rick says.

Tyreese silences him with a punch to the face. Rick falls, and he punches him again.

"Stop! Stop!" I shout, stepping in between them.

Daryl grabs Tyreese, who yells and fights against him. Rick stands up, advancing on Tyreese and punching him square in the jaw.

"Hey hey hey! Rick!" Daryl shouts, trying to stop him.

Rick kicks Tyreese and begins punching him over and over while he's on the ground. Daryl grabs him, and he struggles against his grip.

"Let go of me!" he screams.

"No. No," Daryl says forcefully, dragging him away.

"Both of you! Grow the hell up for a second!" I scream, and everyone falls silent.

Tyreese begins sobbing into the ground, and Rick stares at his hand in absolute horror. Daryl and I look to each other, wearing the same expression as Rick.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up," I say, grabbing Rick's elbow and leading him away.

"Hope, I don't know what came over me, I just-"

"Don't. Let me bandage your hand, and you can go talk to Hershel," I command, my voice deadpan.

We reach the medical station cell quickly, and I sit Rick down as I pull out antiseptic and bandages.

He keeps his eyes down as I dab away the blood, and I focus on my work.

"You're not like that Rick," I whisper.

"That was stupid," he replies, shutting his eyes.

"Yes. It was." He winces as I start wrapping. "You need to apologize to Ty, and find who did this."

"That's obvious."

I keep wrapping. "Maybe the flu strain has been stopped now..." I continue cautiously. "Maybe, now that they're gone, no one else will get infected." I pin the bandage and sit back.

Rick closes his eyes and rubs his undamaged knuckles, thinking.

"You might be right, but I wouldn't mention that to Tyreese," he says.

"Of course, but we have to think of what the murderer's motive would be." I sigh. "We're having another council meeting soon."

"Good. That's good."

Rick gets up and leaves, and I follow.