Chapter 2

Yara's POV

As I walked the several miles toward my shelter, I discovered I couldn't recall any memories. All I could remember was walking up on that hill. This didn't worry me, as maybe I had had such an awful time, that when I was unconsious my brain reprogrammed itself so that I could start a new life! I wondered what I was like in my past life- maybe I was good, or evil. I think I was good, because I felt good and I didn't have any evil thoughts floating around my jumbled mind. Luckily though, I had information so I wasn't gormless.

The structure I stood in front of was old, I could see that. A gas station. It was only a smallbuilding, with four gas pumps in front. I triapsed toward the door and it was open. Even if it wasn't, I could have smashed the big window facing the pumps, but that wouldn't be good security-wise. Just as I walked through the door, my head throbbed and I stumbled away from the door. The last thing I saw before I blacked out was my reflction in the murky glass: curly chestnut hair, a long nose, small mouth and almost oriental looking pale blue-green eyes. Then it was just dark.

Carter's POV

I couldn't cry anymore. All my tears had run dry and my eyes just stung. Now I just felt betrayed. After everything they promised us, and they just let us go! Although I never expected this to happen, there was a niggling thought in the back of my mind saying, 'You knew something like this would happen, they did it to Joey and his family too! You were just too lazy and didn't acknowledge it until it was too late.' Although he despised himself for thinking it, he knew it was true. BL/industries had promised to keep him, his mom and his baby sister safe. They promised everyone that, if they participated in their 'Emotion Trials', then they would keep everyone they ever cared about safe.

I had taken over my mothers duty of doing the Trials when she had Ashlynn, my baby sister. The Trials were simple. Take the pill that they gave you, and come back twenty-four hours later and describe the feelings you had encountered. Some weren't that bad, it was just the Compression pills that you tried to steer clear of. My first pill had been small and purple: The Compression pill. I spent my twenty-four hours sat on my bed, staring at the ceiling wanting to move or speak, but found that I couldn't. When it finally wore off, I told the Scarecrow asigned to me that I felt calmer and subdued. That was a mistake; I was then given dozens of different Compression pills to test, each one of a different strength. After around three more I only licked them and that would give me an overall idea too how strong the pill was. I was only found out two hours before they torched our house, with my mother and sister inside. I had been putting them in the trash until one day when the bin collecters came for the trash, the bin bag broke, spilling debris all over the sidewalk- including the discarded pills. Officails were called and I was reprimanded, but that was meant to be it- there wasn't any more punishment needed. Turns out, I was wrong. The pills I had been taking were expensive, so much so that I was the only person using them. So I escaped the fire and because the Scarecrows thought I was terminated, I escaped Battery City to the barren lands.

I thought I was imagining things when I heard the car engine slowly depleting the nearer it got to me. At first, I thought I had been caught. But when I heard a cheerful yet cautious, "Hey!" emitting from behind him I turned. A multi-coloured Trans-am muscle car pulled up next to me. Four men were situated in the car. The guy driving had longish red hair, hazel eyes and a strong jaw. The man next to him had chin-length dark brown almost black hair, tan skin and hazel eyes. In the back, the other men both - once again - had hazel eyes, but had frizzy brown hair and was quite muscley, and the other, skinny with short blonde hair. They all looked like they were in their late twenties or so, and were all good looking in their own individual ways.

"Hey kid, wanna ride?" The man with the red hair, who had also greeted me before asked.

I weighed my options. I could decline and keep walking until I found shelter or collapsed from the heat. Or I could take the increasingly better sounding option and accept the offer, and ride with these intriguing looking men.