Chapter Eleven--Babies Don't Party

Chapter Eleven

Aiden’s POV

                “I told you I would get that kiss,” I whispered, my eyes still closed. I could feel Maxwell’s breath on my lips; the smell of peppermint drew me in; intoxicated me. Slowly, I pressed my lips against his again.

                Maxwell’s hand curled on my cheek. The scrape of his nails against my flesh burned—but it in the best way possible. He pulled back. “A-Aiden,” I opened my eyes and raised an eyebrow.

                “Was that not the best damn kiss you’ve ever had?”

                “I-I’ve never k-k-kissed anyone,” Maxwell bit his bottom lip, his eyes focusing on his blankets. “R-remember?” I thought back to the night of our almost kiss.

                “Oh yeah,” I replied. “So it was the best kiss you’ve ever had.” I tossed him a wink, which he somehow managed to see. Maxwell looked up, and replied,

                “I g-guess it was-s.”

                “I never knew someone could stutter at the end of a word until I met you. Now, come on, it’s time to go party.”

                “Kelly’s a slut,” he muttered. Laughter exploded from me. I had never, ever head Maxwell insult anyone. “She is,” he whined. I couldn’t stop laughing. After a few more minutes of it, Maxwell stomped his foot. Needless to say, this only entertained me more. “A-Aiden!” He protested. “St-stop laughing at me!” I sucked in a deep breath, and put my hand over my nose and mouth. Even then, though, a few rogue chuckles escaped, making my body shake.

                Eventually, I put my hand up and let him know I was finished. “So-sometimes I just c-can’t take y-you. Wh-whenever you l-laugh it lasts for dec-decades!”

                “Because you do funny shit!” I exclaimed. In response, Maxwell rested his hands on hips and huffed. “Okay, okay, I’m ready to go.”

                “Good.”

**

                “Are you ready?” I asked, pulling my truck to a stop near Kelly’s house. Maxwell stared at the house incredulously. I rolled my eyes. “C’mon,” I hopped out of my truck and walked over to his side, sighing when I saw he was still inside. I yanked open the door and gave him an “are-you-serious?” look. He flicked his eyes to mine for a second, and then refocused on the house. I gritted my teeth and tried not to yell at him—which is what I desperately wanted to do. Instead, I reached over and undid his seatbelt. When my arm brushed against his lap, Maxwell stiffened. I let out a small chuckle. “Wow Maxwell,” I said provocatively, slowing drawing my arm back, “you’re so tense.” I moved my arm up to his chest, “Why are you so tense?” I teased.

                “Okay!” He shouted, jumping out of the truck. “I’m out! I’m o-out, asshole.”

                “Aw, why am I an asshole here, I just wanted to know why you were so tense.” I said innocently. He glowered at me.

                “Like you d-don’t fu-fucking know,” he retorted. His dark brows were furrowed. His bright blue eyes shone angrily up at me. I shrugged and started walking up to the house. Maxwell followed closely behind, once again reminding me of a lost puppy. When we entered the house, we were immediately greeted by a wasted Chase.

                “Wassup, my man! How are you—hey, you brought that quiet kid! How’re you doing?!” Chase pulled Maxwell into a hug.

                “What is he say-aying?!” Maxwell whispered to me. I guess he couldn’t understand the slur of words spilling out of Chase’s mouth. I shook my head.

                “It’s nothing important,” I looked at Chase, “Hey, man, we’re gonna go.” Chase looked at me, still clutching onto Maxwell like he was a giant teddy bear. His eyes went wide and he yanked Maxwell away from me.

                “But you just got here! You can’t leave yet! I just made friends with this little one,” Chase ranted. He tried to pet Maxwell’s head, but his hand was yanked back. We all turned ti see a pissed off Joshua.

“Chase! You had fucking beer in that hand. Were you trying to drench him?”     

“Shit!” He laughed, “sorry, bro,” Maxwell stuttered something incoherent and wiggled out of Chase's grip, then  dashed back to me as Joshua shoved Chase away. Joshua stared at his cousin and shook his head. Once the druggie  was out of sight, he turned to face us

“Hey Aiden. I see you brought…him,” Disgust coated Joshua’s eyes. I subtly stepped in front of Maxwell.

“I did.” I challenged. “You gonna throw him out?” Joshua actually seemed to contemplate the idea for a minute.

“Whatever, man,” he said. “Have fun with the baby,” After he was gone, I looked back at Maxwell.

“I’m so s-sick of him always calling me a baby!” He yelled. “I’m not a baby!” I was taken aback by Maxwell’s outburst.

“I know you aren’t,” I said, trying to calm him down. “Joshua is just a douche bag.” Maxwell’s eyes still burned with anger.

“Meet me upstairs in twenty minutes,” I started to ask why, but he stormed off. What the hell is he going to do?