Chapter Four

Aiden’s POV

            One Saturday night at the orphanage, Mrs. Chloe had a fabulous idea. “We’re all going to play a game!” Groans came from everyone in the room—minus Maxwell, of course. He’s been here a week and he still acts like he’s a guest in some rich person’s house. It’s pathetic. “Now, now, this is going to be fun!”

            “Yeah guys, we’re probably going to play charades! I call acting like I’m killing myself!” A boy my age named Drake yelled. That earned a laugh from everyone, excluding Maxwell and the Hardy twins, Michelle and Abel (both girls), whose parents actually killed themselves.

            “Drake!” Mrs. Chloe chided. “Now,” she stated, addressing all of us. “I know you guys are…older than some of the other children here,” I snorted. We were in the Older Kids Group. Anyone fourteen or up joined us; so far there were twenty-something of us. “But I assure we will have fun! Now, everyone find their roommate!” I guess that was an advantage to being an Older Kid. Everyone only had one roommate instead of two or three.

            “Hi,” Maxwell whispered. I ignored him as he sat down besides me.

            “Everyone will ask their roommate these questions,” she handed out a sheet of paper to everybody, “and record their answers.” Here come the pencils. “Now, find a private place to start and begin!”

            “She says ‘now’ a lot,” Maxwell commented. I smirked and nodded.

            “Lets go to the corner,” Maxwell’s eyes widened and he paled.

            “Um…” I sighed and rolled my eyes.

            “Come on, kid, it’s not like I’m going to try and make out with your or ravage your body,” I looked at his face as his fingertips gently touched his black eye. I looked down at my lap. “Come on,” I stood up and started walking over to the corner. I sat down Indian style and tapped my pencil against my leg. A minute later, Maxwell came over and sat down by me. “Okay, so…” I read the list; all the questions dealt with favorites. Food, band, color, song, et cetera, et cetera. “Favorite color?”

            “Blue.”

            “Band?”         

            “Paramore.”

            “Food?”

            “Chocolate pudding pie.” I arched an eyebrow but continued to keep reading the questions. Soon I was done asking him, and he was asking me.

            “Favorite color?”

            “Red,”

            “Band?”

            “Bring Me The Horizon,”

            “Food?”

            “Pizza. Or nachos.” Question after question he whispered, answer after answer I replied, and the whole time we had been doing this I couldn’t figure out how this was a “game”.

            “We’re done,” Maxwell said.

            “Yo, Mrs. Chloe! We’re done!” I yelled. She turned around and placed a hand on her plump him, eyeing me above her half-moon glasses that had fallen to the middle of her nose.

            “The back page too?” I groaned.

            “Fuck my life,” We both flipped the sheet over. My eyes widened when I saw the questions: What is your biggest flaw? Biggest regret? Biggest secret? Biggest fear? How did your parents die? How did you deal with your parents deaths? How old were you when your parents died? “What the fucking hell!” I yelled, throwing down my paper. “What fucking right do you have to make  us answer these questions?!” Mrs. Chole was about to yell at me for the language—she had her finger poised and prepared—when Ashley started screaming,

            “Rape! Rape!”

Maxwell’s POV

            “Rape! Rape!” I saw Aiden’s whole body stiffen. His fingers clenched so tightly the knuckles turned white. His whole frame was shaking like there was an earthquake happening inside of him. I swear the room temperature dropped twenty degrees. I moved my attention to Ashley, who was trapped under Drake, giggling and laughing. I wondered why she was with him; they weren’t roommates.

            Aiden stomped over to Drake and pulled him off of Ashley. Then he glared down at Ashley. Everyone in the room went silent. You could hear a pin drop fifty miles away.

            “You need to shut up. You have no idea what the word fucking means, so until you do shut your fucking mouth.” My jaw dropped and gasps filled the room. Ashley was trembling on the ground, staring up at Aiden in fear. “I’m out of here,” Aiden stormed out of the room.

            “What in the…” Mrs. Chloe whispered, voicing all of our thoughts. I hadn’t known Aiden very long, but I knew something was very wrong with him.