Chapter Nine

Sorry for the long wait! I'm not happy with this chapter, but it's better than nothign, right?

I sighed and banged my head against my desk while questioning why kids had to go school. Nothing we learn will help us in the future. When will I ever need to know why Romeo and Juliet were "perfectly tragic lovers"? Suddenly, my thoughts were interupted by my teacher. "By tomorrow I want you to have that worksheet done. You may go," the fat ass Mr. Boyer said. He was short, round and sweaty. No one liked him. The sad thing is though, I think he likes us. Poor old fool. I stood up and suddenly a person was on top of me, clinging to me like a monkey.

"Yo bro! Party tonight! Are you coming?" I felt hands grip at my collar bones and warm air hit my ear.

I laughed and turned my head to see Joshua's cousin-and his total opposite- Chase. He was completely crazy, a total druggie, and not the brightest, but I loved him anyways. "Yeah, Chase, I'll be there."

He hopped down, winked and said, "Maybe we can score a few chicks, too." I kept quiet, hoping he'll keep rambling like he normally does. When I didn't reply he nudged me.

"Oh yeah, bro!" I faked a grin and nudged him back. What I really wanted to do was punch him. It was kind of disgusting how he used girls and then just threw them away. I mean, most of the girls he slet with were sluts, but a few actually (a dumb few) liked him.

"Yo bro, why you down?" He bounced on his toes and peered at me.

I shook my head and lied, "I'm fine dude. The drugs must be messing with you,"

"I don't know what you mean! What drugs? I'm as sober as a freakin'...freakin'...oh look! Hot chick 'leven clock!" He ran over to her and wrapped his arm around her. After a couple minutes of conversation, she shoved him and stormed off.

He waltzed back over, totally unfazed. "What just happened?"

Chase shrugged. "One of her friends told her I'm a 'druggie' and she flipped the fuck out," I rolled my eyes. Chase was the only kid who didn't know that doing drugs that often isn't good for you.

"You are one, man," Chase slapped my chest.

"You do drugs too!"

"Yeah, but only shit like weed and E. You do heroin and coke, there's a huge difference," He waved his hand as if to say there is no difference. "Anyway, aren't you upset you lost her?"

"What? I haven't lost her! This is just the beginning of The Chase!" I laughed.

"Whatever, man," Just then, the warning bell rang.

"The party is Kelly's, by the way!" He yelled as he ran away.

~~~~~~~

Lunch couldn't have come sooner. I had an itch for nicotine. Unfortunately, I was out. I needed to drive to the gas station and get some fast. I sighed. Could a kid ever catch a break?

"Wh-where are y-you going?" I hear a slightly feminine voice ask. I glanced to my right and smiled internally.

"I'm going to get some cigarettes," Maxwell nodded. "You're short." I blurted.

"You're tall," He retorted, sounding a little offended.

"Not really, only six-two," I replied.

"Only? I'm only five-nine!" he exclaimed.

I chuckled. "Don't blame me for you genetics,"

After a moment of silence, he asked, "C-can I c-come with you?"

"Sure," I answered, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. Every cell in me was screaming in confusion, but it felt nice to be like this. Maxwell looked up at me, shocked. After he got over the fact that I was being...affectionate, I felt his hand slide across my back to rest on my hip. I stiffened, but relaxed. It was Maxwell, and him having his arm around me felt nice, too. Once again, he looked up and smiled. Once again, I couldn't help but smile back.

We walked out of school like that, but once we got outside with the swarms of people, I remembered that this was not okay. I quickly took my arm off of his and wiped off any emotion on my face. His arm stayed on just a second after I took mine off; lingering. As his passed mine, I reached out and squeezed his fingers. Out of my peripheral vision, I saw him blush. "Are you going to Kelly's party tonight?"

"Th-there's a p-party on a school n-night?" I laughed quietly.

"You would care about that," He blushed again.

"School's important,"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, are you going?" He nodded.

"I guess,"

"Cool. Is Marco going?" I spat. This time Maxwell laughed.

"Y-you would ca-care about t-that," he mimicked.

"Yeah, yeah," I griped, looking at the stores lining the streets.

"I d-don't kn-know if he is," I nodded, ticked at the fact that he could be there. I didn't need some asshole to spike his spike his drink and take advantage of him. "A-Aiden, I like y-you better," I stopped.

"Really?" I raised an eyebrow, looking down at him. He was staring at the ground, his black hair covering his face. "I like you better too," He looked up and smiled. Suddenly, I just had to be next to him. I walked over and stood really close to him. I lifted his chin until it was close to mine and told him, "And one day, I will get that kiss you owe me," Maxwell literally turned the color of a fire truck and began stuttering.

"I what owe, no, no I don't. um uhm, kiss oh my gosh, uh," He looked around frantically, doing anything to avoid eye contact. I laughed and covered his mouth.

"We're gonna have to get you speech lessons," I teased. I grabbed his hand and pulled him along. "Come on, I'm going to die of nicotine withdrawals!" I let go of his hand and ran across the street. I got to the other side and looked over to find Maxwell. He was walking all the way to the corner to use the crosswalk. I laughed. "He is so weird,"