02

- sonny haynes

it was a week later that i finally decided to introduce myself to nico.

it was lunch time and sage and i decided to eat lunch at the cafeteria.

i had noticed nico sitting alone, eating some salad of sorts.

"girl, just go and start a conversation with him!" sage pushed.

i sighed , and stood up. " here goes nothing." i said, and slowly walked over to nico.

he was scrolling on his phone, feeding himself the salad when i coughed.

looking up , he raised a brow.

"can i help you?" he said, looking at me.

i nodded, taking the seat across from him.

" i'm sonny - we have the same afternoon class."  i said, taking a drink of my pepsi that was begining to taste watery.

nico gave me a quizzical look and reached for his backpack.

"i'm guessing you need to copy my work, right?"

i shook my head and laughed. "oh no, i just wanted to introduce myself...and maybe see if you want to hang out later?" i asked quickly, chewing on my lip.

Nico looked at me thoughtfully, then abruptly stood up, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

  "maybe some other time , samantha." he said, walking away.

i was beyond baffled, turning around and yelling "it's sonny!" but nico was already out the door.

i sighed, walking back to sage in defeat.

"he got my name so wrong..." i muttered , sitting back down.

sage laughed taking a bite of her pasta. "maybe he's gay? would explain why he dresses so good." 

i gave her the middle finger and went back to my half eaten plate of food. 

-

it was now late in the afternoon and i was at the dorm i shared with sage and dakota.

as usual tyler was sat on the couch,
he must have brought his playstation over again.

"and where have you been, SAMANTHA?" he mocked.

i rolled my eyes, placing the grocery bags on the kitchen counter.

"out getting food and cashing my check from work." i muttered, beginning to put away the groceries.

  "sage told me about what happened... wanna talk about it?" tyler said, pausing his video game.

i gave him a look, "since when have you, tyler okonoma ever wanted to talk to me about my feelings?" i asked, taking a seat at the bar stool.

tyler shrugged, sitting across from me.

" bitch this the only time i will ever ask you about your feelings so spill!" he said, and i obliged.

  "i just feel like he isn't interested in me, and i know i cant control that but he just seems so mysterious, like he has layers that i want to know but he doesn't want any one to see them.." i trailed off.

  tyler nodded, smacking his lips. "well fuck him sonny. if he isn't interested then that is his problem . now if you excuse me, i have to go home and get ready for harold from class' birthday party." he said, and i laughed.

  "harold from class invited you?" i asked, knowing that harold was extremly introverted.

"hell yeah, white boy sells the best weed. it's an open invite , you guys should go." tyler said, and went back into the living room to unhook his game system.

  i sighed, thinking about if i should go to the party to have fun or spend the night sulking in my own misery while getting ahead in school work.

thank you hargroved for writing this ilysm, a gr8 friend and an amazing co-writer