1

You ain't gotta be perfect,
Just give me a purpose to love

•••

I'D BEEN DREAMING of finding my mate ever since I first learnt of them.

When I was younger, my mother would often tell me about mates before I went to bed. How it felt when you met for the first time, the happiness and contentment they provide and the unconditional love that the pair has for each other.

I always asked her to tell me the story of how her and my father met. It was a sweet story, my father was a warrior from the Midnight Pack, and my mother was the daughter of an Alpha from the Dark Moon Pack. Her parents were against the mating, as they believed she was destined to be a powerful Luna and not the mate of a common wolf, however my mother never wanted to be a Luna at all, and so she and my father ran away and went to live at the Midnight Pack, which is where I reside as of now.

I loved the story so much, I would practically force her to tell me it every night before bed, as if it were some well known fairytale. It certainly was for me.

It only made me yearn for my mate all the more. The one destined for me, and only me. I craved that feeling, that love that two people share for each other. To me, it seemed amazing that two people could have such an unbreakable bond.

It was so strong, that fated mates could not even live without each other, that's why things always went downhill if the mate born was defied. Rejection was extremely uncommon, but that didn't mean it didn't exist. I knew of a few people who had either been rejected, or had rejected their mate.

Key word: knew.

When a wolf is rejected or rejects their mate, their wolf begins to reject their human. Meaning their wolf no longer keeps in contact with their human, and they often go crazy due to the loss of their wolf. The pain of rejection is said to be more painful that wolfsbane entering the bloodstream of a wolf.

Many people regret rejecting their mates, as you would, however once you utter those words there's no going back. The deed is done. The result of breaking the bond between two mates is tragic; they either drive themselves to insanity, or end up killing themselves, if their bodies don't do it for them first.

Although I very much anticipated meeting my mate, sometimes I would think too hard, and worry. Wondering if he'd reject me, or if he already had a family, or if he was dead. All these doubts would swarm my head and it was hard to gain control over all these frantic thoughts.

Other times, though, thinking about my mate excited me to an extent where he was literally the only thing I would think about.

And I wasn't entirely sure how to feel about that.

•••

Our pack house was incredibly huge. I'd never really noticed that before now, as I walked towards it at that moment.

It was 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday, and I was headed to the pack house to get some work done in my office. I was the pack doctor at the Midnight Pack, which was why I was probably one of the very few people that were up, getting ready for work.

I hoped I could get the majority of it done before noon so that I could have the rest of the day to relax, and perhaps head to the training grounds later on. I felt that I needed to spend some more time on my fighting, as I'd been slacking lately, due to the busy schedule I'd had recently.

Our Alpha was not necessarily on good terms with Alpha Kian of the Red Blood Pack, but then again, not many people were. He liked to pick fights with other Alpha's and packs around them, and encouraged the rest of his wolves to do so as well.