Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Richelle Mead

It was dark when I awoke, the only light came from the small sliver of moon that hid behind a cloud. I stood and stretched, I was stiff, and I wobbled a little as I walked. The woods seemed dark, but with my heightened senses, everything was bright, and I didn't trip on anything like I would have if I was human. I was hungry and I could hear the voices of campers in the distance. If I could get just one of them alone I could feed and then leave, I could make it look like animal attack, but making it look like an accident wasn't going to help the guilt I felt, even though I loved the taste and warmth of blood gliding down my throat, I still felt the guilt.

" Shh, Your not going to make a sound. Ok?" I'd grabbed the nearest camper, covered his mouth and compelled him to keep his mouth shut. He was in the woods getting fire wood when I snatched him, and sank my teeth into his tanned neck, he moaned as the endorphins engulfed him. He was high enough now that someone could hit him with a sledgehammer and he wouldn't feel it. There is something in the venom of a morri bite that makes you feel really high. Morri. That's what I am, but if you stereotype us, most of you would call us vampires, But there are good vampires and bad vampires. The good are the morri , and the bad are striogi. The striogi would drink you dry and leave your body to rot without giving you a second thought. But the morri don't kill people. We feed until We're full, but don't feed long enough to kill somebody.

I leaned the man up aganst a tree so he could come down from his high, then I left. I didn't know why I was in the woods, but I didn't want to be out here at all, so I took off towards my apartment. I Knew I was still in Montana, but I didn't know where. I ran about seven miles when I came to a gas station. Snappy's, of all places I had to come to a Snappy's. I went into the store and talked to the clerk: " Sir, could I use your Phone? I went camping with some friends, and got lost." I tried my best to sound desperate. It must have worked because the store clerk handed me a cell phone. I dialed the first persons number I could think of.