Chapter 7

I wake up and am bathed in the sunlight that pours from the motels only window. I sleepily stumble to shut the blinds. Dimitri stirs in his sleep and I try to be quiet. As I ease into the bed, he wakes and groans. I sigh and say " Sorry... I tried not to wake you." he sighs too and asks what I want for breakfast. I give him a "duh" look and we both burst out laughing. We settle down and he gives me a soft smile. "Can you go without a feeder until we get to the school?" he asks. I nod, but my stomach disagrees. Then Dimitri speaks. "Alright. I'm going to get a shower," he pauses. "Please don't run away again." An emotion, though I'm not sure which one, seeps into his voice. I say nothing and he continues, but his tone is softer. "Please trust me when I say that I wont let them hurt you. I promise." He's whispering now. I look into his eyes and I know instantly that he is being truthful. I agree to stay softly, and he heads towards the bathroom.

When Dimitri comes out of the bathroom I am already dressed and waiting on the bed. "Took you long enough." I joke and he grins back at me. He is dressed in all black and even though its like 75 degrees out, is wearing his signature black trench coat.

"I'm gonna try and see if I can get to Adrian while we drive. I didn't dream anything last night." I try to make small talk with Dimitri, he simply nods and occasionally says: "okay." or "sure." I sigh and unbuckle my seat belt. "What are you doing?" He questions.

"I'm getting comfortable." I say as I crawl into the backseat. "We could get into a car accident, you could get hurt.." he looks a bit upset. I smile softly. "I'll be fine, your driving doesn't suck." I laugh a bit and he chuckles.

I lay on my side, facing the leather seating. I try to concentrate on Adrian and soon the fog rolls in. I search around looking for my brother, it's harder this time because he isn't trying to reach me. Besides, he is a bit more experienced with spirit than myself. "Luna? Hey are you alright?"

As I turn around I finally see him. "Adrian. Hey. Listen, we don't have much time. I'm coming back to the academy with Dimitri." He didn't look very surprised,  he just sort of nodded. "They told me. I miss my baby sister, I'm glad you're coming home." I smile a bit before Dimitri shakes me into consciousness.

"Sorry... did you get to your brother at all? We're almost to the academy." He murmurs. I nod and sit up. I rub my eyes a little. "Adrian said that they've already told him I'm coming back." I grin. "And that he missed his baby sister." I say with a sly smile. He laughs a bit. "Who wouldnt?" I can hear him whisper to himself in Russian. I giggle and he knows I understood what he said. He smirks and I grin at him.

I crawl back into the front seat and look up through the windshield to see the academy looming above. I suddenly tense up grip the arm rest hard. I squeeze my eyes shut and I can faintly smell burning plastic. "Luna! Hey. Look at me." I distantly hear Dimitris voice. I open my eyes and look down at the arm rest. Its all melted and sticky. "Me. Look at me Luna." My breathing shaky, I level my gaze with Dimitri's. "Breath, just breath. Don't focus on the school. Listen to my voice and know everything will be okay. As long as I'm around you will be okay, I promise."

I do as he says and I listen to his voice. I calm down from my panic attack and wipe my face of stray tears. Dimitri offers me a hankey, I take it gladly just using it as something to hold onto. "I'm sorry about the car door..." I say, my voice still shaky. "Don't worry about it. Its nothing that can't be fixed."

We were coming through the main gates now, and since its still daytime not many students should be around. The morri and dhamphir schedules are a bit weird, classes take place during the night that way the morri don't have to go out into the sunlight much. Its a bit uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt us much. Though, if any strigoi were to go out into the sunlight, they'd fry like and egg on a hot sidewalk. We pull up to the school and I see Adrian, a few guardians and Mistress Kirova. She's glaring at me through the windshield. Adrian looks impatient as be breaths out a puff of smoke. I look at Dimitri. He sees my hesitant gaze and grasps my hand lightly before squeezing it a bit. He lets go and begins to unbuckle his seat belt.

I take a deep breath and do the same. I step out of the car and onto the gravel. I begin to walk slowly towards my brother, trying to avoid Kirova's daggers. When I'm finally a bit closer to Adrian I see him smile. He puts out his cigarette as I begin to jog towards him. As I get to him I pull him into a bone crushing hug, he chuckles softly but returns the hug just as hard. "Next time can you let me know before mysteriously disappearing. I didn't know what happened to you, I thought you were dead or something..."

I felt so guilty for putting Adrian through all that. I began to tear up. "I-I'm sorry... I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have left.. I was just so scared after what happened to Vasilisa.. and Rose...." my voice cracked as I remembered what happened. Tears streamed down my face. Adrian began to stroke my hair and whisper for me to calm down that everything was alright.

That's when I got upset. I stepped away from Adrian and crossed my arms. "None of this is alright. Strigoi's killing any spirit users they can get they're hands on and this is not the least bit okay!" I was getting louder. I was unaware that the ground beneath me began to shake and crack. "Luna!" Dimitri's voice carried over the sound of crumbling stone. I froze as I realized what was happening. I dropped to my knees and broke down, sobbing into my hands. I felt Adrian's arms wrap around me and I bury my face in his shoulder. Slowly I began to black out from the use of magic but before I do, I see Kirova sigh and cross her arms. Dimitri looks to Adrian and nods. He gazes down at me with an expression of worry. Then finally everything goes black.