Chapter 12

~~~Ali POV~~~

He closed the door and came toward me.

I was still in awe of his huge, muscled frame, with his dark hair and piercing eyes - his entire being just radiating power.

With a little surprise, I found myself not as wary of it as I was before, but it made me feel something more . . . what was I feeling? Attraction? Pride? something in between?

My thoughts made me swallow nervously as he sat down in the chair by my bed, leaning forward to rest his arms on his knees and huffing as he refused to look at me.

I felt my happiness fade with each second - not this again, I thought.

Inevitably all that we had spoken of before came to the forefront of my mind.

"I passed out didn't I?" I broke the silence gently. He just nodded and glared at the bed sheet so I spoke on, "and you brought me to the hospital just for that?" I teased lightly, smiling to try and brighten the atmosphere that was really getting to me.

He huffed again and finally locked gazes with me and my stomach tightened at the intensity in his dark eyes, though not the good kind.

"Ali, after everything you heard, after all that I told you how can you be so calm?! So . . . Unfased - happy even?" he asked me frustrated, "you should be running as far from me as you can. Begging me to leave you alone and to go back your pack!"

I'd started to shake my head and he had to look away, jaw clenched.

I knew that's what I should be doing but I had already made my mind up on the matter. Me and my wolf had discussed this when I'd blacked out.

Bottom line was that he was our mate and we'd grown too attached, seen too much of his hidden, softer side to go back to our life before him. Without him. And for once I knew with every fibre of my being that he was not going to budge me and my wolf on our decision.

"Did you really think I'd leave because of this?" I asked gently. He slowly raised his head to look at me and his eyes were full of conflict, "I'm not going anywhere and there's nothing you can do or say to change my mind."

I thought he would be happy at hearing this but instead he clenched his fists and his eyes shut tight.

"The curse, it's-"

"Listen." I interrupted and he opened his eyes. They were full of pain and helplessness and my heart ached for him, tears brimming my eyes. I hoped with everything I had that what I was about to tell him was possible. "I think I might know how to lift the curse."

His eyes grew wide and I watched as a flash of hope flitted through them before pain engulfed it, he was shaking his head, "Ali, generations of my family have tried - it's impossible. Don't say things that-"

"Just hear me out," I butted in quickly and I instinctively moved towards him, needing to be closer. On top of the covers now, I sat on the side of my bed directly in front of him. I don't know who reached out first but our hands were suddenly clutching each other's as if it were a lifeline. I spoke into his tortured gaze. "As Mother of Luna, I have to the ability to sense and track the whereabouts of other supernatural beings, so I can warn a pack for example if a vampire coven are close," I explained, "so I know where the few remaining witch clans are . . . " I saw the shock in his face and I didn't blame him.

"Witches are extinct, they died out hundreds of years ago."

"No," I said quietly, "they didn't."

I saw a small flicker of hope dance across his features but again it was gone in a flash. His eyebrows furrowed and I continued quickly, eager to get that hope back. How long had he dreaded meeting his mate? Knowing what the curse would do and knowing he had to keep away?