Chapter 4

~~~ Chez's POV ~~~

My wolf was pissed.

It was six in the morning and here I was, waiting at my alpha's house to give him an immediate report on the past week.

I was Black's beta and had been running the pack while he attended the alpha summit.

Before he'd left he'd told me it was a waste of time going to the annual event - complaining that nothing significant ever happened.

Boy had he been wrong this year.

I laughed to myself and shook my head as I thought about him finding his mate - and the Mother Of Luna at that!

I felt privileged that I was one of the very few people that Black was marginally close with. There were definitely rare occasions when he would share his thoughts and be more open with me.

He was shit scary don't get me wrong - but I had seen proof that behind our cold, deadly efficient alpha there was a man with real emotion and a noble heart.

He hadn't spoken much about his mate, just that he wanted me to inform the pack that he had indeed found her, tell them who she was exactly, but had then rang two days ago and added that he wouldn't be bringing her with him.

I had to say I was saddened by it. Although I would never voice it - there was no way I was risking setting off that uncontrollable temper of his - I had definitely heard suppressed longing and awe in his voice when he had spoken of her over the phone.

Which made me wonder why exactly he seemed so hell bent on keeping her away?

I cast the thought aside, knowing I would never have the courage to broach such a sensitive topic with him, and finding it pointless to risk it since she wasn't coming to our pack and they were seemingly living separate lives.

I started to pace the drive in front of the alpha house, trying to settle my annoyed wolf who was overly fond of sleep, when I heard a car approaching.

I straightened myself up as Black's SUV came to a stop a few feet from me, parking up in the driveway.

The tinted windows meant I couldn't see inside when I tried to have a peek, trying to see what kind of mood Black was in.

If he was in a bad mood I'd have to be a little more cautious and respectful.

He got out of the car and I could literally feel his frustration coming off of him in waves, heaving a sigh as if he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I instantly became wary, but I picked up something else as well that made me frown.

Black always had a constant hum of pent up stress and anger about him, always there beneath the surface, crackling and just waiting to be triggered.

But now, even though he was clearly frustrated about something, that ever existent tension that he had always had to bare was practically gone.

I think my mouth actually fell open.

What the fuck?!

I watched him walk around the bonnet of his SUV, my eyes wide and unable to speak.

He finally looked up at me and that glare of his sure as hell snapped me out of my shock.

"Alpha." I said respectfully and bowed my head.

"Chez." he replied.

I turned, expecting him to head towards the house but when I realised he wasn't moving in my direction I turned back.