Reflecting Pools

(Skip ahead, middle of the storyish)

"How did you sail that boat all alone? You're a woman."

Infuriating silence met my question. I sat in her cell for the fourth time in two days.

"Answer me?"

She answered me with a critical green eye and an unforgiving silence.

"You never told me your name. I've been referring to you as Girl, at least tell me your name," I pulled my most charming smile, leaning forward onto the table.

She slowly stood, sauntering over to me and sitting on the table in front of me.

"I know you're name. Captain Miles Reed," she curled her fingers under my chin, her hand tracing my stubble. "King of the sea, idol to small pirates." She leaned forward with a seductive smirk and played with the laces of my shirt. "Like myself."

Despite my desperate want to take her into my arms, I grinned, playing the same game she was.

"Alright, Girl, tell me more."

"Well, I'm sure you don't have time to hear any of these stories from a woman, but your sailing expertise," she leaned closer, her hands leaving hot trails along my chest. "Your skills in the battle field." Her mouth skinned the shell of my ear. "Your rugged looks. Well, they leave quite the... impression." She grinned, pulling back and skimming her fingers along my rough cheeks.

I chuckled, unable to hold in my reaction to her ridiculous display. She finally looked surprised, though quickly reined in her emotions.

"Is something particularly funny?" she cooed.

"I have a feeling, we will become fast friends, Girl," I chuckled, standing and running my fingers along her chin. "Come upstairs with me, it's about time you got a taste of the sea breeze."

I didn't think I could ever see her look excited but the look of joy on her face as she leapt up was priceless.

"Really?" her eyes were bright, hopeful.

I chuckled to myself, "yes."

Her eyes suddenly became suspicious, "why?"

"Because you're a sailor, and you're stuck in the prison cell of my ship. If I was you, I would have already killed myself. Besides, I have your ship and your back up is dead. In exchange for your expertise and your, well the charm you just tried to pull on me, I'll let you get some fresh air, maybe even bathe, if you're good."

"What are your terms?"

"You stay by my side, don't make eye contact with any of my men. You breathe in the fresh air, then you come into my cabin, once in my cabin I will open all the windows and you are welcome to sit on the window seat and breathe in as much sea air as you like," I held out my hand. "Deal?"

She shook, her dark green eyes meeting with my own. I pulled her close to my side, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. I opened the cell, letting her step out first then quickly limping out myself. She bolted up the ladder, ignoring my protests. I scrambled up after her, quickly grabbing her hand and pulling her back into the dark alcove. Once again, I wrapped my arm around my face and fixed on a lazy smile. She stared at me angrily, and I cleared my throat, nodding my head towards my men. She slowly nodded and fixed a giddy smile on her face, wrapping her arms around my waist and stumbling onto the deck. I leaned heavily on her, cursing from the pain in my leg. My men stared. I know they did because I felt their eyes burn into my back as I stumbled closer to my cabin. She giggled, her fingers gripping my shirt. She rested her head on my shoulder, giggling once more. The torchlight caught in her long golden hair. The humidity caused it to poof out and curl into tight ringlets. Freckles splashed across her nose. She kissed my shoulder, her lips warm and soft. I grinned a bit, steering her towards my cabin. She hesitated, inhaling deeply and pulling slightly away from me and looking at the stars. I let her hesitate, debating on what to say.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" I whispered.

"The most beautiful thing in the world, I think," she replied.

"I know something more beautiful," I leaned in so my lips brushed her ear. "The water."

"I concur," she laughed, wrapping her arms back around my waist and pulling herself flush. I pulled her towards my cabin door, turning so she was pressed against my chest. She stayed in character, but I felt her muscles stiffen at the sudden change. I leaned down to kiss her and she moved her head, my lips making contact with her chin. She reached behind me, grabbing the doorknob and thrusting the door open, pushing us both in. Once inside she pulled back and I watched her hand as my cheek exploded in pain.

"Ow!" I muttered. "What was that for?"

"That was for kissing me, or at least trying to. Don't ever do that again or I'll shank you," she shoved me and stepped to the window seat. She threw the windows open and sat on the seat, pulling her knees to her chest. She stared out into the waves and the stars reflecting off the water. I took this time to really admire what she looked like, I never had before. She was young, a round freckled, tanned face. Her golden hair fell down her back, curled and fuzzy from the humidity. She was, very beautiful, to say the least.

"Girl," I started.

"Calypso," she interrupted.

"What? What about her?" I asked, confused.

"My name, it's Calypso. Calypso Avis," she looked at me, her chin resting on her knee.

"Avis, I know that name..."

"Captain Samuel Avis."

"Your-"

"Father, yes."

"Oh..." I sat on my bed, folding my hands.

"How's your leg?" she asked after a while.

"Ever been bit by a shark?"

"No."

"Me neither, but this is worse."

Her cheeks turned red, flushing her face a deep red. I didn't quite know why she was embarrassed, but at least she was human.

"Don't be embarrassed," I chuckled, "you're not the first woman to shoot me down."

"You're hilarious," Calypso rolled her eyes. "You did ask me to shoot you."

"I was being sarcastic. I didn't think-"

"A woman would shoot you? A woman would dare wield a gun against a man or stand up for herself?" she sneered.

"Yeah, pretty much summed it up. I was bluffing. I thought you were too, but obviously not."

She scoffed and turned back to the window, her eyes drifting back to the stars. Hours went by and I had tried to unveil her secrets. Why did she choose my ship? How did she sail that small ship on her own? Where did she get that ship?

What did she steal?

"Hey Cal-" I started, turning around.

She was curled up on the window seat, her back facing me. Her shoulders rose and fell with each breath, quiet snores were drowned out by waves. I sighed, running my fingers over my face and beard. I stood, picking a blanket from my bed and putting it over her. She shifted, her eyes fluttering slightly. I stepped back quickly, going back to my desk and sitting down.

She was welcome to sleep in my cabin, she would simply owe me later.