Chapter 17

I hope you like this chapter.  I'm sorry that it has taken so long to post.  I will be away this week, without wifi, so I will not be able to write.  I hope to get back on track in June.  Thanks for reading!  

P.S.  If you see any inconsistencies between this chapter and the rest of the story, please let me know.  I reread this one, but I didn't go back to the others to check.  Btw, I am making Jake's ex's name Carly.  I know that I have her as Kerry in an earlier part of the story, but I'll be fixing that soon.  Also, Adam's last name is Naysmith.  I may have him as Adam Schaeffer in an earlier part of the story.  

Don't have a pic in mind this time.  I might add one later.  

**********************************************************************************************************************

DREW

The day flew by, and before I knew it, we were in Family Consumer Science class. It was now my favorite class, since I got to spend the time working with Em. She was talking about our pseudo finances, and I was pretending to listen. I was actually staring at her, wondering how on earth I had failed to realize how beautiful she had gotten in the past 6 years.

"Drew? Did you hear me?" Em asked, looking at me with concern.

"Oh, sorry. I was daydreaming," I responded. "What did you ask?"

"I asked if you think we should have separate or joint bank accounts," she repeated.

"Joint," I replied, not even thinking about it.

"Okay, that's fine. If you are thinking of getting a joint bank account with Ellie when you two are married, though, you better change your mind," she suggested. "You will be broke in no time if Ellie gets control."

She smiled. I loved her smile.

"Oh, I'm not marrying Ellie," I said, not thinking about the impact of my words.

She stopped. Now, she was staring at me. "Of course you're marrying Ellie, right?" she asked. It almost seemed as if she was pleading with me.

My hand traveled to hers on the table. I loved the feel of her hand under mine. My brain knew this was neither the time nor the place to do this, but my hand had stopped listening to my what my brain wanted.

"I'm not marrying Ellie," I repeated. I didn't really care at all about finances, or that twenty other people were in the room. She was staring at me the way she had at the party right before we kissed. I wasn't sure if what I saw in her eyes was fear or desire, but it wasn't going to stop me. I leaned toward her.

"I see you've managed to work out your finances," I heard a voice say from beside us.

That was enough for Em to pull her hand away, and answer the source of the voice.

"That's right, Mrs. Manchester," Em answered. "We are trying our best to get this completed."

Mrs. Manchester smiled, looking from me to Em.

As she was walking away, I thought for sure I'd heard her mumble, "Their results were right on."

I turned back to Em. Now she was looking at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Don't you think I should be asking you that? We're discussing you marrying my sister, and you decide to hold my hand?"

Uh-oh.

"I'm sorry. It's just that I get all flustered when talking about a future without Ellie, but I don't think we're that good for each other anymore," I managed.