Chapter 28

Here's the next chapter! Hope you like it. Sorry it took so long. It was really weird not writing Em's perspective this time. Thanks for reading!!

Pic is of sad Drew. :-(

********************************************************************

DREW

I watched as the Martin girls' purple car drove slowly down the driveway. I missed Em already. I walked back into my house, and found my mother standing right inside the living room.

"Is it strange to see your past and your future in the same place at the same time?" my mom asked.

"I never thought of it that way," I replied.

I continued to stare out the screen door at nothing.

"So, you and Em finally realized how you felt about each other?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said, sighing. "I really love her."

"I think you always have," she said, wrapping her arms around my waist from behind, pulling me toward her.

"Maybe," I replied, and I was starting to believe it. I had such strong feelings for her, it was hard to believe that we had only been together a little over a month. I mean, I had actually thought about a future with her, of marrying her. I'd never really thought beyond high school where Ellie was concerned. It made me wonder why I'd ever dated Ellie in the first place.

Not too long after Em had gone, my parents and I were sitting down to dinner. Right as I sat down, my text alert went off. I wanted to check it, but I felt bad about taking the attention away from my parents. After all, I hadn't seen them in over a month. Plus, it wasn't a text from Em. I'd programmed a special ringtone for both her calls and texts.

"I like Emily better than her sister already," my Dad said. "Our son has manners now."

My mom and I both laughed. I'd eaten a few bites when my phone started to ring. It wasn't Em, and hardly anyone else called me. I ignored it, but it began to ring again shortly after it stopped. I pulled it from my pocket, and looked at it.

"I have to get this," I said. "It's Em and Ellie's little brother. He never calls me."

I walked into the living room.

"Hello?" I said.

"Drew?!" Justin asked, sounding frantic.

"Yeah?" I asked, worried.

"The hospital called my parents. Em and Ellie are hurt. The girls wrecked their car. They ran off to the hospital. It must be bad. My mom was screaming, and my dad had to hold her up and walk her to the car. I thought I should tell you," he said in between sobs.

I felt like time had stopped. What had happened?

"Thanks, Justin," I said, forcing myself to remain calm. "I'll go to the hospital now. Everything will be okay."

It didn't feel like everything would be okay, but he was just a kid. I had to give him hope. After I hung up with him, I heard a horrible noise. My parents came rushing in, asking me who that was and what was wrong. I was now sitting on the floor, crying hysterically. I guess that horrible noise had been from me.

"I have to go to the hospital. Em and Ellie were in a car accident. They're hurt pretty badly," I said, forcing myself to calm down. I was no use to anyone if I was a blubbering mess.

"Of course," my dad said. "We'll go right now."

I didn't remember the ride over to the hospital, or whether my mom put dinner away or not. The next memory I had was walking into the hospital. My dad asked where Em and Ellie were being treated, and we hurried to the waiting room where the Martins were.