Chapter 3

Chapter Three

                "Slyiah?” I hear faintly, whispered into my ear. 

                It sounded like someone was talking - but I was unable to understand what was being said. The word sounded foreign, lisped like maybe French or Italian, yet familiar at the same time.

                For some reason it felt like the strange word was directed at me. Addressed like an alternative name for myself that plunged deep into my subconscious. I didn't know what it meant but my body felt strange hearing it said out loud. Almost as if the word itself scratched my skin, I stirred in my sleep.

                "Huh-wha?" I questioned to no one in particular. I was still groggy, and wasn't trying to fully wake up yet. It felt like I only slept for like ten minutes. I wanted those eight hours of sleep.

                "Finally I can reach you," a voice said speaking as if I knew who was talking. "Why were you resisting me for so long?"

                "What's happening?" I asked dazed, followed by a huge yawn. The voice sounded smooth - all the words were spoken with velvet like ease that hinted the speaker was friendly but condescending at same time, if that made sense? For a moment a feeling vertigo pasted through me, because when I opened my eyes I couldn't focus on anything clearly. My eyes and ears felt fuzzy. The only thing I could tell was that I was somehow no longer in my bedroom nor could I pinpoint the source of the voice that so rudely woke me up. "Where's my brother?" I asked, again to no one blindly. All drowsiness left my body once I finally took into account that he was missing too. Okay do not panic, this may just be a dream. Though, my heart beat accelerated.

                "Wo-o-ow," the voice drags out the three letter word sarcastically, ruining the velvety smoothness of its voice. "I go out of my way to contact you and all you say is 'where's my brother?' "

                “Oh, well pardon me for thinking that my missing brother was something of importance." I snapped back, and then remembered what else was nagging my mind. "And who the hell are you anyways?" I asked as stubbornly as I could manage though I was terribly confused. Assuming this is a guy I was talking to – it sounded masculine - I abandoned my good manners. I know that's sexist but, I'm cranky when I don't get my sleep. Jer knew that first hand.

                "Now, that was rude." The voice said. There was a chilling undercurrent hinted in the tone. Note to self: add mysterious to sound of this voice as well. I shivered then hugged myself for warmth; I hadn't realized I was so cold. Maybe I hurt its feelings or something? I thought, instantly regretting my impoliteness towards a complete stranger. My mother had taught me better than that. This person was speaking so familiar with me so I couldn’t help but wonder if I had met him before. If he hoped I knew who he was, then he was severely out of luck, at the moment I was drawing a huge blank. 

                "But I'll let it slide. Oh and you and your brother are still a sleep." The voice said as if to clear things up, it did sooth over my concern over my brother’s whereabouts, as it at the same time increased my confusion.

                "I am still sleeping?" I asked to verify though he already told me the answer. Somewhere deep inside myself, I was aware that I was indeed still sleeping. If concentrated hard enough I could vaguely feel the pointy springs of my mattress. But I was still frustratingly blind. I kept squinting, grunting, and rubbing my eyes but it accomplished nothing.

"If you are having trouble with the darkness," the voice said as if he could see me struggling. "Then envision any place you want to be - and go there."