Chapter 5

Chapter Five

One thing on the many things I hated about my moving list was the long-ass drive it took to get to this new place. Especially if said ride included an annoying little brother who kept asking 'are we there yet?' every fifteen minutes just because he thought saying it was funny; and an obnoxious older sister who kept flipping radio stations every five fricking seconds. It was going to take us an hour and fifteen minutes to get to this new place. Ninety-nine bottle of beer on the wall... 

                "Where are we going anyway?" I asked bitterly from the backseat staring out the window - the trees and road seemed to continue for ages. It had finally occurred to me that I had no idea where we were actually moving to. 

                "Orangeville," My mother said innocently, simply focusing on the road, like those three syllables she said didn't just rip my heart out. 

                "O-Orangeville!" I stammered glaring at her though the review mirror. Oh my God! No wonder why she hadn't told us where we were going; Orangeville was so far away. It wasn't even in the Toronto district! 

                My mom opened her mouth, about to explain her self, but my sister cut her off. "Oh shut up, and stop complaining. Who the hell cares where we're moving to just as long as were finally getting out of that dim city." 

                "I wasn't talking to you, Chris," I grumbled under my breath. This is just making my bad mood and headache even worst. She always hated it when I called her Chris, since it was a boy's name. But I hated it when she would step into my arguments and tried to act like she was mom. "And speaking of that dim city," I said mimicking her high- pitched voice, only to receive an icy glare through the mirror. "Why did you hate it there so much?"  

                I could never quite understand why she didn't like Toronto. She was always complaining about how we needed to get out of town or else she'd run away or she'd shave her head in insanity. But there was nothing there for her to hate. She had plenty of friends, plenty of boyfriends - which she would rub in my face - , and to top it off, she was - wait for it- head cheerleader in our high school. Yup, the icing on her popularity cake. What was so bad about a life like that? 

                My sister looked uncomfortable at first but she answered my question. "You wouldn't understand. Nobody would." She whispered then gazed out the window. 

                She had a far-away look in her eyes that surprised me. I was expecting something totally different like, 'Oh because everybody in our school is waste,' or 'because all the malls and plazas sell the same thing'. But this wasn't part of her standard ranting, and it threw me. First, what happened this morning and now she's suddenly deep? Who was this girl and what she has done with my Barbie-doll sister? 

                "Well maybe I could understand if you just told me," I pressed trying to figure out what was bugging her. She may be mean to me but she was still my sister, we have to help each other out, and well, she's not usually like this, so maybe I could get some juicy gossip and pass it on to Raven. 

                "Well how about minding your own God damn business," She snapped getting annoyed. I instantly took back my previous thought. Fine, she can solve her own damn problems. So much for helping each other out. 

                "Would you stop it you two!" my mother warned while focusing on the road. "Or I swear to God I'll-" 

                "You'll what?" My sister cut her off again. Paused. Crossed her arms, challenging my mom to think up a punishment, but didn't actually wait of an answer and said, "Whatever Mom just stop talking, we all know you'll do nothing. You're so full of it. Nothing but useless empty threats."