Chapter 6

Chapter Six

WHEN I CAME to the only thing my mother told me was that I didn’t have to start school today. My foggy mind couldn't process this at first because I didn’t even know what day it was. It felt like I slept for a half hour but as it turned out, I was asleep for the whole entire weekend. Which had meant that I slept for two freaking days! I've only done that three times in my whole life. Nobody even bothered to wake me or tell me what the heck was going on.

                The last thing I remembered was the terrifying car ride which seemed to have gotten us here in one piece. Many questions then ran across my mind: How exactly did we escape? Is that man looking for us, even now? Does he know where we are?  But when I tried to ask my mother about what happened yesterday she kept dismissing everything I said, and used unpacking as a means to keep herself busy. Jeremiah was absentmindedly playing with his action figures in the kitchen and refused to acknowledge that yesterday even happened, and Crystal had locked herself in her room blasting music to drown out the sound of my knocking on her door.

                Well… Fine! If everybody wanted to sweep this under the rug then so be it. Nobody wanted to do so, more than me anyway! I was the fricken QUEEN of locking things up in my volt of unpleantess. If nothing was being said then that means everything’s fine, right? And if that was how everyone wanted to play it then I’ll do just that. I will never think about this incident again. Into the volt it goes! The sense of relief that followed felt so nice it almost put me to sleep again.

                I didn’t know how I got there but, I had been sleeping on the couch already set up in the living room. It brought back memories of the times I used to fall asleep by the door when I was a kid, waiting for my mother to come home from work, only to then wake in my bed the next day. As a child those moments were filled with warmth and love at thought of your parents carrying your snoozing body and tucking you into to bed. But these cherished times were lost, I left them back at the old house with the rest.

                This house was just a shell in comparison. Though our TV, baby pictures, and most of our furniture was all put up it still looked empty and unwelcoming for a place that’s supposed to be a permanent stay. The walls were a creamy white colour. And everywhere was hardwood. Apparently the pervious owner had only used one room in the whole house, the master bedroom, until he finally got married then moved out. Which I found to be kind of disturbing - I mean, if it was just you living in a four bedroom house by your self, then why even bother? You might as well live in an apartment; it’d save you a lot more money. But whatever, to each their own I guess. The whole place felt unlived in especially the live-ing room. Corny? Yes, but so accurate.  

                The house was old-styled, built in the 1920's with a plaque on top of the fireplace awarding the house for being the oldest buliding in nieghbourhood. When you first walk in through the double doors, it leads you straight to a wide widing staircase. Up those stairs were three out of the four bed rooms, the master, and two other rooms, relativity the same size for Jeremiah and Crystal. While I was out of it they called dibs, and that was the law in our house, so now I was stuck with the room in the attic. But it was not like its unfinished, it was bigger than both their rooms, had three windows that overlooked the neighborhood and had its own bathroom so I’m not complaining... It was just more stairs to get there. So overall it was a nice house - beautiful actually - just not for me.

                “Mom! I’m going for a walk. I need some fresh air!” I called from the door as I tied up my shoes. I had on my joggers and a big red hoodie. In the shower earlier I tried to wash away some of this unease I was feeling but failed - I couldn't take this place any longer. Though I actually didn’t want to go on any kind of walks again for a long time, I couldn’t just sit in my room and unpack. Frig that!  This place was the reason why I had to leave my life behind. So I'm gunna unpack shit, the very thought made me feel sick inside. When I didn’t hear a reply, I took that as a “go ahead, honey”. I grabbed my cell phone, just in case, and head out the door.