The Last Angel - 6

"What?!?!" my hands flew to my eyes. I turned my head to look at Aviva and Reuben. "Is it true? Are my eyes actually rimmed with red?" They looked at me with confused looks on their faces and nodded. Then Kai spoke up.

"There's a prophecy that my aunt once spoke of. It was the prophecy of the last angel, the angel of wishes. It is said that the last angel has divine powers, granted by the Queen of Heaven, Marisha Ten. Every time a last angel uncovers a power, her eyes will change colours-only the rimming. The powers were gifted to her to help her fight the angel seekers, led by evil. Only a truly divine angel will be able to discover all her powers, for it has never been all discovered before. You see, Marisha Ten only allows angels on Earth every other century. Therefore, every century, there is a last angel. My aunt told me it takes a great deal of courage and bravery as well as trust and love, to develop these powers."

"How does your aunt know?" I asked.

"She was an angel herself, Apaulla, the angel of prophecy." He responded.

"Umm, so you mean I discovered a power? All I did was scream. How is that a power?" I said, confused.

"Well, I'm not sure, but I think angels can direct sound waves with their screams. An angel's scream is so powerful; it can make a person go deaf." Explained Kai.

"Ugh, remind me not to get on your bad side," commented Aviva. Reuben nodded in agreement.

"Right..." I said, dragging out the i. "So, umm, anyways, you should stay in bed, rest a little bit, you know, until you, uh, get better. I-I'm just gonna, uh, go get some food, cuz I'm a bit hungry...Okay, ya, feel better!" With that, I rushed out of the room.

Ohmygod. They must think I'm stupid or something! I can't even form a proper sentence without saying the word 'uh' or 'umm'! I thought as I sat on a stool and grabbed an apple from the countertop. I sighed as I took a bite out of the apple. This day was just getting weirder and weirder. First, I learn that I'm an angel, specifically, the last angel, and then I get kidnapped, then into another dimension, and then, Cleora wants to kidnap me, and now this?! Wow. Too much drama.

I slid off the stool and opened a cupboard, looking for a plate. I opened the door and screamed. Inside the cupboard, was...a kitten?

"Wha-What's wrong?" asked Reuben, franticly. I turned around, only to be greeted with a frightened Reuben, a confused Aviva, and a worried Kai. Then, Aviva burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" asked Kai.

"It's...She's....She screamed...Because of...A kitten!!" Aviva managed between fits of hilarious laughter. I looked to the floor, sheepishly.

"Well, you know, I'm still a bit, umm, unstable, after Cleora's visit." I tried to explain. I felt a blush creep up to my cheeks. I turned around and took the confused kitten in my arms.

"Meow," she replied. She was a beautiful kitten, pure white, medium haired, blue eyed, with a pair of silver bells attached to the pink ribbon tied around her neck.

"Aww, it's so cute, "Said Aviva after her laughing fit. I turned around to see Kai crack a smile, a genuine one, not his usual cocky grin. I looked at him confused, and then remembered that he was hurt.

"Hey, Kai? Shouldn't you be resting? I mean, you're still injured so you should rest to regain your strength." He just nodded and turned around to go to his room.

"Hey, wait...I'll come with you..." I trailed, hesitantly. He stopped and turned around, then nodded.

I walked him to his room, with the kitten still in my arms. She was now nestled quietly in my arms, breathing softly.

"So, do you think we can keep her?" I asked, referring to the kitten.

"Sure, I guess. But you'll have to be careful when we go on the run again. It might be hard to feed her, or for her to keep up with our pace. She's just a kitten, so you'll have to be able to take care of her," he explained as we entered his room. I nodded thoughtfully and he sat on the bed.

"What are you going to name her?" Kai asked, suddenly. I looked up from petting the kitten.

"Oh, well, I haven't thought of that yet, but I think I'm going to name her Jingle." I responded after a while.

"That's a nice name," he said. Jingle jumped from my arms and onto Kai's lap. He laughed as he petted her with his uninjured hand. I smiled as I sat on the bed beside Kai, watching Jingle purr to Kai's touch.

"She seems to like you," I commented. He glanced at me and smiled. Then, Jingle jumped off his lap and walked out of the room.

"Uhh, never mind?" I said and then started giggling. Kai just looked at me with a smile on his face.

"Are you ticklish?" he asked randomly.

"I...Uh...Ya..." I hesitated. "Why?"

"Oh, I just wanted to know. So I can do this!" he said and he started to tickle me. I squealed and fell on to the bed, laughing and trying to get him to stop. Finally,

when he stopped tickling me, I noticed the position we were in. he was on top of me. I blushed and looked away, not being able to handle the intensity in his eyes.

"Gemma, look at me," he whispered and I turned my head to find him inches away from my face. I didn't move, and he gently placed his hand on my cheek, and turned my face towards him. I hesitantly met his eyes and their deep green colour. I could get lost in his eyes forever, I thought. I looked at Kai, and he seemed deep in thought. Then, his eyes refocused on mine, and he opened his mouth like he was about to speak, but then closed it when he changed his mind.

"Gemma?" he asked after a few moments. I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. I mean, he was just so close to me! He didn't say anything. Then, he leaned down, and I felt his sweet breath against my lips. I tilted my head upwards and closed my eyes, waiting for his lips to meet mine. The minute I felt his lips brush against mine, I knew I was a goner. He pressed his lips closer to mine, and then-

"Gemma, your cat-oh! Oh my God! I'm so sorry!" said Aviva as she backed out of the room and closed the door. Me and Kai jolted apart when she entered the room. There was an awkward silence as we sat beside each other, silently.

Finally, not being able to take the silence any longer, I said "Okay, umm, you should get some rest. I have to, umm, go and, uh, feed Nyla..." I hurriedly ran out of the room, leaving a smirking Kai.

Once in the kitchen, I sighed. Okay, well this was just going to make our keep-Gemma-safe mission/on-the-go more interesting, whether in a good way, or bad. Taking out a can of cat food, I opened it and put it on a plate.

"Jingle!" I called as I set the plate on the counter. Hearing bells, I smiled as she came scampering into the kitchen, and hopped onto a stool. I pushed the plate towards her. She hopped onto the counter and with that, I left to go find myself some peace and quiet, and some time to think, about future events.

I went outside, on the balcony at the back of the house.

"Hmm, fresh air," I said to myself as I leant against the bar. It was at least mid-night, but I was feeling too restless to go to sleep. I stood there for a few moments, letting the small breeze brush against my hair, and taking in the aroma of the forest. I tilted my head up towards the midnight sky. The stars had started to come out and it seemed as though someone had spilled a bowl full of sparkles onto the sky. In the distance, I could hear an owl calling to its mate, and some light whispering of nearby water nymphs. After a few moments of clearing my head, or, at least, trying to, I went back inside, expecting a night of restless sleep and many more nights like it, to come.