Changes (6 Months Later)

Wedding preparations were already beginning by the time Zuko and I hit our sixth month anniversary, which was a little sickening to think about.  It wasn't Zuko, despite his near constant fears that it was his fault that I was so reluctant. No, I was sure about Zuko at this point. But it was all so fast, I felt as though I was being shoved through life instead of actually getting to live it. 

I'd figured out pretty quickly that I was not a fan of Azula (of course, that  was  the nicest possible way to sum up my feelings for the little bi-brat.), and the last few months had done nothing to change that opinion. 

My relationship with Zuko progressed so quickly, that on the morning of our sixth month anniversary, I awoke with one arm over his torso, the other lying on his chest. It wasn't a position I ever imagined myself in at 13, but I wasn't exactly living the life of a 13 year old anymore. "Morning babe." Zuko muttered, voice thick with sleep as I slowly shifted my way up to kiss his cheek. 

"Morning Z." I said, glancing in a mirror at the mess I called my hair and laughing, hearing the voice in my ear 'that is not how future queens look!'.  Zuko and I shared on quick kiss and for a second, I reminisced about our first one. Three weeks after I'd first met Ozai, I'd seen Azula shooting flames at Zuko's head. As he backed away (he later said that he didn't want to get violent in front of me), I singed off half of her hair. In his exact words- "I could just kiss you right now!" I'd deemed the proper response to that 'why don't you?'. 

"What's on the schedule for the day?" I asked, schooching off of the bed and standing to dress. 

"Dress fitting." Zuko said, voice whiny with boredom.

"Listen you. What's bad for you-" I began, a false scolding look on my face as I pushed my earrings in. 

"Is a hundred times worse for you. I know." Zuko sighed, stepping behind me. His hands wrapped around my waist and his head rested on my shoulder.

"That's right." I said with a chuckle, head turning slightly and one hand reaching back to pull him into a kiss.  Eventually we separated and I backed away. "Now, I've got a fitting to attend. They'll call for you later."  It had taken a while, but I'd slowly sunken into the Fire Nation culture. Yes, I'd be quite adamant about the end of the war when if was ruling at Zuko's side, but for now, I had to learn about everything I"d missed.

Hours passed of me standing on a platform, getting jabbed with pins. My hair was tied up, roses braided through it. My lips were painted red and I was slid into crimson red silk gloves. None of this mattered compared to the dress. It was the very image of beauty, each piece so perfectly crafted that I looked like the very essence of the Fire Nation, a flame flickering strong and powerful. It hugged my figure just perfectly, exposing my legs and the gorgeous shoes. I was prettier than I'd ever been before.

The door pushed open and Zuko entered the room, freezing on the spot as I turned to face him. We never really showed our relationship off in public, but at this moment, a smile stretched across my lips and an awed 'wow' left his. "It's perfect.'" He said, eyes glued to me as I stepped down from the platform, my dress moving as though it was flames, licking up my legs and taking me in as a part of the fire. 

For a second, I could envision our wedding day. Flames surrounding us, hands bound together with a thorn covered vine as we spoke promises to each other that our bond would never waver, that we would never stray, lest the thorns rip into our skin and teach us the repercussions of betrayal and lies. I gave a contented sigh at these thoughts, a soft smile painted across my lips as I relished in them for a few more moments.

6 months ago, I'd been dreading the day I was bound to Zuko. 6 months later and I was dreaming of it. 

Oh, how things change.