Strictly Business

Dedicated to LovelyAwkwardness for making my awesome cover!

     A buzzing to my left drew me from my slumber.

     I reached around for my cellphone groggily, passing keys and other objects. I finally grasped my phone and slowly brought it to my face. Crap, it's Dad.

     "H-hello," I stuttered, rolling over onto my back, my stiff bed squeaking.

     "Hello, Adam, could you come down to my office?" His gruff voice wasn't the best thing to hear in the morning.

     "Now?" I sat straight up, blankets twisting into an odd mass.

     "Yes now!" he spat.

     "I'll be there in a second, bye Dad." I snapped my phone shut and hopped out of my bed's warmth. I really wasn't looking forward to seeing Dad that day. My break up the day before screwed up my whole mood that week.

     Stumbling, I threw on a musty smelling white shirt and a crisp black blazer. My dad always expected me to look nice whenever confronting him.

     "I had way too much last night," I said under my breath as I reached for a pair of black pants. The ringing in my ears and the pounding in my head was a sure sign of it. I looked at the clock, it told me that I had slept past one. Great.

     After preparing myself, I grabbed my keys and cell phone and walked out the door.

     "Hello Adam," Mya called from down the stairs. I waved to the apartment desk clerk and hopped down to where she was after locking my door. I smiled at her. "Where are you off to?" she asked sweetly.

     "Visit my dad, I really got to go," I told her politely, still smelling a hint of last night on my breath. "I'll talk to you later." I looked back at her as I made my way out of the building.

     "Bye Adam." Her white teeth shone and her bright green eyes twinkled. If it wasn't for her chunky glasses and conservative clothing she could've been hot. At least she was pleasant to talk to.

     I hopped in my car and attempted to start the engine. Each time I tried to start my junker, it made the noises of what you'd expect a dying elephant to make. After another failed try, I thumped my hand against the peeling dashboard.

     "Common you piece of shit, start." It continued the "I'm going to make you late game" with me. Finally, it started almost ten minutes later. "Thank God," I muttered as I shifted the clunker into drive. I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the road.

     I drove through the streets, the good and the bad, to get to my dad's office. It was located in the heart of the city in a towering building.

     I was roughly a mile away when my phone started to buzz. Cautiously, I picked it up, turning my head to it , then back at traffic, then to it again. It was a text.

From:Cameron                                                                                                                                                 

To: 555-8321

INSANE PARTAAAY Tonite @ Sharon's house @ 9:00 ~ You need to get over Cas - Be there Adam

     I flipped my head back onto the road and smiled. I'd have something to do that night. I was going to forget about Cassy and just have some fun.