Chapter 10 ~ Fire Starter

Adam P.O.V

  The large hands released me and I sped away. My two tiny feet pedalled out of the cloud of cigar smoke and onto the street. My heart beat quickened and the fog cleared from my head. Clarity and weightlessness hit me. I felt free.

   This was a feeling that would only come up occasionally in my life but it is one of the most beautiful ones to have. And in that ten second kiss it came to me again. I was ten years old again on a tiny spiderman bike.

    Unfortunately, children tend to crash when their fathers forget to tell them how to brake. The high doesn't last forever and it took barely any time for me to come down from mine when I kissed Layla. 

     Our lips parted. I opened my eyes like one does on a Saturday morning when the sun shines through your window and envelopes you in bliss. I expected Layla to open her eyes like mine but she didn't. 

      Her eyelids flicked open and the whites of her eyes were as large as the moon. Before I knew it she was pushing me away from her. Layla backed away and ran both of her hands through her perfect light brown locks.

     "No, I can't be doing this," she muttered. The ring on her left hand shone like her emerald eyes. Why would she have flirted with me if she was married? 

     "Wait, Layla, what's going on," I asked, reaching out to grab her arm, hoping I would get an explanation. She twisted herself away from me and headed for the door. She stopped abruptly and turned back my way.

      "I'm so sorry Adam, I shouldn't be doing thi-" 

      "Did I do something wrong." I looked directly into her eyes and lightly grabbed her arm. She quickly squirmed out of my grip and turned her back to me.

        "No, I did," she murmurred. She reached for the door handle and swung the door open. The music echoed through the carpeted halls.

        "Can I at least get your number or someth-" I shouted over the bass but it was too late. She slammed the door behind her.

        I was hoping to find a glass slipper in her wake but there wasn't anything. 

       I should have been realistic anyway. Why couldn't I have realized this wouldn't work? I knew subconciously my situation would never let us become anything but there I was, locking lips with a mystery girl at my girlfriend's party.

         Besides, I had just weeks to find a fiancee. I should have been focused on wooing Sharon more. 

        "You man whore!" I heard the bubble-gum voice I had  come to know quite well scream behind me. Ten perfectly manicured nails dug into my shoulders and spun me around.

        "Sharon what are you doing?" I screamed back at her feeling legitimately afraid and confused.

       "I can't believe you kissed that girl," she growled, angry tears filling her smooth, brown eyes.

       "You kissed him," I pointed to the man she had just been crawling on. The music slowed and all the guests stopped grinding. They turned their attention to the brawling couple by the door. "I wanted to get back at you, babe," I said quieter, having no music to compete with.

        "It was a mistake alright, you should have just talked to me about." I couldn't tell if her smeared makeup was a product of her passionate kiss with the other man or the tears she was now shedding.

         "Baby, I'm so sorry." She unclenched her hands and ran them down the front of my shirt. "We shouldn't ever had betrayed each other."

        Sharon lightly nodded, smiling through her tears. Her innocent smile quickly turned into a devilish grin. She grabbed my shirt and pulled me up to her mouth where she greeted me with a fierce kiss.