19

Lorelai, Charlotte, Rory, and Richard were sitting at the table at the Gilmore Mansion. Emily was standing at the doorway to the kitchen.

"Do it again, please!" She called through to the kitchen before taking her seat at the table again. "I'm not quite sure what other way there is to say no walnuts in the salad except to say no walnuts in the salad." She huffed.

"Mom, she just made a mistake." Lorelai said.

"She doesn't listen, she doesn't care, she has no work ethic." Emily said.

"She has some work ethic. You made her remake the salad four times." Lorelai pointed out.

"I like things done correctly." Emily said.

"Preferably the first time." Richard commented.

"Thank you, Richard." Emily said.

"You know, Mom, in Europe, they eat the salad last and the main course first." Lorelai said, feeling her stomach rumble.

"We're not in Europe."

"We could pretend." Charlotte quipped.

"Really girls, you can't wait ten minutes for another salad? The situation's that dire?" Emily exclaimed exasperated.

"Four salads ago, no, not dire. Right now it's your money for nothing and your chicks for free." Lorelai said.

"She's right. I'm starving!" Charlotte nodded her agreement.

"Rory?" Emily said.

"They didn't have lunch." Rory said.

Emily huffed. "Fine." She said getting up.

"Where are you going?" Richard asked.

"Apparently, we're going to be European tonight." She said before disappearing into the kitchen.

"Oh, wonderful. I was getting so tired of being American day after day after day." Richard said dryly.

"God, I'm starved." Lorelai said.

"Think about something else." Rory suggested.

"Like what?" She asked.

"Something disgusting that will take your appetite away." Rory said.

"Ari Fleischer?" Lorelai suggested.

"Ari Fleischer is our nation's mouthpiece, young lady." Richard frowned.

"Officially not hungry now." Lorelai pouted.

"Liliana will be right out with the sand dabs. I'm afraid we're going to have to let her go, Richard." Emily said coming back to the table.

"Ok, if that's how you feel, Emily." Richard said.

"You're firing someone over putting walnuts in a salad?" Lorelai exclaimed.

"I'm going to fire someone over putting walnuts in the salad after she was told not to put walnuts in the salad." Emily corrected.

"Mom, you know, if you're not a little nicer to your help, you might find yourself in a Frank Lloyd Wright situation."Lorelai warned.

"Frank Lloyd Wright?" Richard asked confused.

"What on earth does Frank Lloyd Wright have to do with my salad?" Emily asked just as confused.

"And your walnuts." Richard added.

"Mrs. Wright apparently had this major problem with her help. She was very rough on them and they totally hated her. So this guy who had worked for her forever, he had finally had enough. I believe the incident was over walnuts, wasn't it, girls?" Lorelai smiled at her daughters.