Chapter 25 - The Babyshower

Isabelle's P.O.V.

         What a party, huh?

         That dark-haired man was the man in the photo. He was my father. Breanna's father.

         I stared. I couldn't cry, although I wanted to badly. I couldn't even properly think. I just saw him, the features I inherited, the ones I only have ever seen in photos plus the extra years.

        I'm not sure if everyone around me became silent or it was my initial shock and my ability to block it out. As I took it all in, I realized Breanna is my sister.  Her brother was my brother too. I have two more siblings.

        Breanna was on the edge of tears. Her, wait, my brother was confused. Dad was ready to say something, but I looked behind me. There was my mother. I expected her to be in tears, screaming, or shocked. But she looked as if she knew. The sympathy in her eyes told me everything because unlike my mom, my aunts were shocked. They thought of him as the same deadbeat as I did.

         The envelope, I hadn't bothered reading yet, in my hand was now crumpled up in my vice-like grip. I don't know why anybody expected me to want any of this. I don't have a clue what to do.

          I ran upstairs. Not out of anger or sadness. I was embarrassed. I knew any moment, I was going to break, completely.

Amity's P.O.V.

         I should have told her. I didn't think at all. Who would've thought that Breanna's dad was Isabelle's too?

         "Is Isabelle here?" I hear a distant voice.

          Breanna, her brother, and her dad make their way into the kitchen with Isabelle's mom. I enter the foyer to run after Isabelle, but I see Ryder. Messy hair and sweatpants. God damn it. Can things get worse from here?

          I tell him to wait there, out of the way. I run up two steps at a time to Isabelle's room. I went to open the door, but it was locked. I notice Isabelle's mom standing on the middle step look up at me. "She okay?" she seems worried.

           Sniffles arise. I place my ear to her door. "Belle, you alright?" I ask.

          Nothing.

         "Belle."

         I knock again and no answer, but I do hear tearing like she's ripping up a piece of paper.

          Noah and Isabelle's mom come up from behind me.

         "Izzy, open up," Noah says.

         Then I look back, I see Ryder standing where Isabelle's mom was moments ago, confused.

          "Belle, can we talk?"

Isabelle's P.O.V.

           "Belle," my mom says.

            I hear all their voices. Noah's, Amity's, My mom's, yet, each sounds vaguely the same through the door.

            I wasn't ready to speak to any of them. It's just one of those times I need to be alone and process before I say something irrational.

           "Belle," a muffled voice comes through the door.

           I look down at the envelope in my hand. I haven't even glanced at it.

           Isabelle

           I didn't know anyone that would send a letter. I opened it.