Part 5

As I followed Della up the stairs, I became increasingly concerned. I stopped once I determined what it was I was hearing. A women was screaming. Screaming at the top of her lungs. Chills ran thru me and I gasped. Della turned and just frowned at me. "Women come here for many reasons, miss Ruby" she said and continued up the stairs. I wiped a tear from my cheek and began to follow along after her. At the top of the stairs was a long hallway with rooms spaced about 6 feet apart from each other. A little closer together than I expected. Above each doorway was a number printed in black. On my left I studied the numbers 110, 112, 114,..on and on it went. Finally Della stopped in front of 136. "Here you are. Come bring your things" she told me. I followed and she allowed me to walk in ahead of her as she held the door. I was expecting a to find great room, knowing the closeness of the doors in thr hallway must be misleading. It would be complete with a comfortable bed, new bright and fluffy linens, and a bright window.  Perhaps I would be so lucky to have a desk I could write to Alice at each day. As I stepped thru I was taken aback. There was no desk, no window, no linens. It was  bleak, with light cream walls, and a smell of wet dust. The air was thick and stuck in my chest. There was a mat on the floor no more than an inch thick, with no bedding. I turned to Della, No. This isn't right. I'm supposed to have a room prepared. Mr. Johnson said my room was prepared. This isn't for me. Therr must be a mistake here. Dekla started slowly moving her head back and forth and clucking at me. "Oh, miss Ruby,  this is it, doll. You would do well to make your peace with it.  This is your home now. I'll let you get settled". And with that she turned and left me standing there suitcase in hand in the middle of the room, tears rolling down my face. As the door closed behind her, it made a loud click.