Part 2

The drive thru upstate New York was beautiful. Fresh air, wide open spaces. I did my best to take it all in. My thoughts continued to circle back to where I was really headed. Small bits of fear and panic reaching the surface. With a heavy sigh, I kept leaning out the window to push everything away. Everything except what a wonderful view I had. I was going on a holiday. That's it, and that's all. Alice and Ruby, together on an adventure. We've been going on adventures together my whole life. I truly loved driving out into the country. The smells, the sounds were so much more agreeable. We had been in the City with its noise and commotion far too long, if you asked me. Perhaps that is what has caused these fits. I don't have any recollection as to exactly what is happening to me while I am having a fit. One minute I am fine and then all of the sudden i am usually on the floor with people looking down at me with alarmed looks on their faces. The first time, it had been late in the evening after supper. Alice and I were sitting together reading in our chairs before bed. Alice was holding my head in her lap and screaming for help as tears fell down her face. I slowly lifted my head and asked, whats wrong Alice? Looking around, I didn't remember how I got down to the floor and there was no reason as far as I could see for her to be holding me or carrying on like she was. "Ruby! Oh, Ruby, you were just..I don't know, but you scared me to death!" What happened, Alice? What are we doing on the floor, I had asked her, hoping for something to explain away the panic I saw in her eyes. "Ruby, we were reading, just in our chairs here, an uh you mentioned the fellow in your book becoming a bit familiar with his lady friend. I looked up, and mentioned about how it was finally getting interesting and I would read it after you. You just looked at me and then your body became stiff. Oh goodness Ruby, your mouth started to move, but no sound came out. I asked if you'd heard me, and what were you doing". Alice was sobbing uncontrollably now. "I didn't know what to do, Ruby. That was the most terrifying few moments in my entire life." I had felt fine, although perhaps just a touch achy. Alice has proceeded to watch me very carefully from that point on. I did my best to reassure her that I was fine, and she needn't worry so much over me. I was sure it was just a result of being over tired. I had taken on a new position as a seamstress with Alice, over at the Buchanan residence, just a few days before it happened. Alice had been working there for some time, and had finally agreed I was of age and temperament to join her. She has always been the responsible one. She made sure we had food, and a place to stay. It wasn't much, but it was always enough. I, on the other hand, was more adventurous and playful. Reckless, Alice would say. I lived to read and spent much of my time inside a novel. Alice was able to borrow one book a month from the Buchanan family library. New novel day, as I had deemed it, had been my favorite day. I looked forward to that day more than all others. We didn't have the luxury to celebrate birthdays or Christmas with gifts, but that didnt matter. I had Christmas once a month. Far luckier than we could've been I am sure of that.