Part 1

Just pack a few of your favorite things, she told me. She seemed hurried and also quiet, as if what she was speaking was a secret. How long will I be there? I asked her. Looking away from me, out the window, "I'm not too sure", she replied. "Just come on then, we were meant to be there already. You know I don't like to be late." I felt my mouth push into a frown as I looked at her. "I don't want to go, Alice" I told her as tears filled my eyes. Perhaps I am done with all of these fits and, well I feel sure, it, it won't happen again. Finally she turned to look at me. Tears filled her eyes too, and it took my breath away. "Ruby, we must. You know they haven't stopped and this is what we must do. I want you near me, always, of course I do, but my dear, this is just out of my hands." She walked over to the edge of the small bed, with the faded yellow quilt I took care to straighten just so this morning and opened the small case I would bring. It was the case Alice and I used whenever we moved to a new place. The dark leather straps in front were worn but still funtional. "Let's see, how about a photo of you and I? Hmm?" Finally releasing the breath I was holding I looked up and met her eyes. I wanted her, not a photo of her. How could I possibly get by without her. Will I be ok?, I asked her. I needed her to say I would. She is my big sister, and has always made me feel everything would be. She has taken care of us for as long as I can reember. Our parents having both passed away, she was all I had. Alice looked down at her hands, and began ringing them, as she always has when she was nervous. Alice? "I...yes, yes Ruby. You will be okay. I will make sure of it. You know I have always looked out for you. Now, we will look forward to our visits, and we cannot do that until we are there and settled. Come, now. Think of the new room you will have and friends. I feel this almost to be a holiday of sorts for you. They have vast gardens and even a theatre!". Her renewed committment to my going and enthusiasm was the tiniest bit comforting. I could go for a while, perhaps even meet a few new friends. A holiday, just like Alice said. I stood up from the bed, and looked around the room. I've avoided thinking of what to bring with me, so as I could also avoid thinking of going at all. Time to face the music, as they say. I steeled myself and asked outloud, what to bring? Alice walked over and handed me my hairbrush, and mirror. "How about my best dress and mother's necklace, Ruby? The green brings out your eyes better." I nodded. Pulling the edge of my wide brim hat down, just a touch more, I stood and followed her thru the door with my suitcase in hand.