CHAPTER 2

Almost  a year later...

----

“But what if something goes wrong? It’s only been a month. Shouldn’t you run some more tests?”  Natalie had never doubted Michael's ability.  She had not spent their marriage just being dutifully supportive.  Like him, she had always known this day would come. But what if something did go wrong?  How could she live with herself?

“Really? After all these years? Natalie, honey, if you’ve lost faith in my work just say so.” Michael knew it was a low blow.  He didn’t care.  She meant the world to him.  For her he would walk away from it all.  But he was certain there was not even the slightest risk of anything going wrong at this point.  If there was any way he could stop her from stopping him, he would.

“That’s not fair and you know it! I have had nothing but confidence in you and your work from day one. But it took years to get to this point, and its only been twenty nine days since the first mouse survived.  AND he came back acting intoxicated and having trouble breathing!  Look baby, I know the year deadline is almost here, but living breathing specimens have finally been able to survive the trip! That’s amazing! I think you’ve earned more time here. Let’s give it just one more year, maybe just six months.  Don’t you think you need to test a few more live specimens before starting on humans, on yourself! You don’t have to rush this part just because I said one year, we can change that.”

“No hon, we can’t.  I would do anything for you and you know that, but I did not agree with the one year deadline just because you asked me to.  I agreed with it because it is right.  You married into this, you knew the project was going to monopolize my time, and still it is not fair to ask you to continue like this.  And what about the kids, they did not choose this, it’s not fair for them. It’s not fair for ME, I need to have a chance to be a father before it’s too late.  You were right when you gave me a year, it’s time for this to either succeed or end.

‘Not only that but you know as well as I do that the government is not just going to walk away from the possibility of time travel.  They may have pulled my grant but I guarantee you they are busy working on it themselves as we speak.  If I can make this happen before them I can bring them a working product and get reassigned to their project otherwise I have no way of attempting to prevent any misuse.”

She was still scared, but she also knew he was right. Despite her sudden paranoia, she did still have complete faith in him. She just wanted a little more proof.  Not that it is viable, just that it is safe. If its not, if something happened to him, it would crush her. And if it was rushed, if it was because of the deadline she imposed, she would never forgive herself. She knows he’s right, she understands the race against the powers that be who must certainly be working on this as well. But knowledge has never controlled the heart.

“How far?” She hated asking that. She knew it meant she was giving in. She just hoped she wasn’t also giving up.

“Ten days, I’m going to see the deadline.”

“What if eight days from now war breaks out, or terrorists attack, or... I don’t know what else. What if we are in trouble in the future and the machine has been compromised and you can’t get back?” Her last plea.

“That really is ridiculous you know. But I knew you’d be concerned at this point. I will not need the machine to bring me back. I’ve made an adjustment that will cause the pulse to linger on me for ten minutes and then re-activate bringing me back here. I won’t be gone more than a few minutes.” He assured her.

“If you’re so sure it’s safe why create a “lingering pulse?”

“The machine has never sent anything larger than a basketball, and since the adjustments that finally allowed living creatures to travel nothing larger than a mouse.  The strain of creating a pulse large enough to send me may damage it.  I knew when the time came you’d be worried, especially since the last advancement was only about a month ago. I couldn’t put you through ten days of waiting and wondering.”

“And how many times has this lingering pulse been tested?”

“Well, if you ask me that after i get back I’ll tell you once.”  He took her hands in his own.  “Look Natalie, other than you, I’ve never been more sure of anything in my life. The adjustments to allow life to travel were hard to find. The adjustment from mouse to man size? It’s simple math, at which we both know I am flawless.  Yes the mice have come back a little disorientated, but that passes quickly for them.

'I could have done this differently you know. I could have done it all here at home. I didn’t need to make this project public knowledge. There never had to be a fear of the government discovering it first, never had to be a race to get it done as quickly as possible. I could have worked on this as a hobby of sorts. It would have been a lifelong project that may not be completed for another twenty or thirty years. Had I done it that way you still would have had a husband, and the kids would have had a mother and father. With you having to work two jobs to make up for my lack of income, I’ve robbed them of parents. Not anymore! One way or another this ends today. I’ll walk away if you want me to, or I’ll make this trip now. There is no third option.” He raised her hands and kissed them. “Stop me or let me go, I will love you just the same either way.”

“I know you would honey. But I couldn’t ask you to walk away with nothing after all these years. I just have this feeling... It’s just..” She sighed and gave up on trying to figure out how to express herself. “Nevermind, I’m probably just being silly.” She kissed him, then went to sit in the office chair at his desk. “Go, I’ll be here waiting for you to get back.” She found a way to smile for him.  “See you in a few minutes. I love you Michael.”

He could barely contain his excitement, this was finally going to happen! “Love you too Nats.” And with the push of a button he was gone.

----

It was about three hours later that Amanda came home. Natalie should have been at work and Amanda was surprised to see the car in the driveway. “Mom!” she called walking in the door.  There was no response. “Hello!” Still nothing. She couldn’t see mom coming home early from work and then just going for a walk.  Then she noticed the basement door was open and the light was on. “Dad?”

Still there came no response, so she ventured down the stairs. After the first couple steps she heard the hum indicated her father’s equipment was on. Two steps later her mom came into view at his desk. She was just sitting there, staring into the middle of the room.

“Mom, what are you doing down here? Why didn’t you answer me?” Still no response, no sign that she even heard. She grabbed her mother’s arm. “Mom! What’s going on? Where’s dad?”

Slowly Natalie turned to look at her daughter. “I... I don’t know”