Chapter 2:Chubby

Chubby. Definition-plump and round. I guess this term tells it like it is. But why do we consider people less because of rolls on their belly. Why do we mock them? Why do we tell them they deserve to be treated that way? Why is it their fault? Why do we have to be skinny like a stick to be considered perfect?

      First day of first grade. Almost every single kid that was in my class from last year was there. And oh god there was Marco. He looked at me and smirked and I felt sick to the stomach. I wanted to go home, be anywhere but there. Being bullied at school made me change in behavior. I guess I started acting up to get attention.

      My father didn't understand why I was acting up so much. I never felt like I could talk to him about the things that were going on. I guess since I didn't have anyone to play with, the made you walk the fence. At least I had a reason to be alone now. My days on the playground were spent like this. Gym wasn't any better.

       Ms.Boom was horrible. Because I was chubby I couldn't do the sit ups. I just couldn't, I told her I couldn't. But her being the teacher she was wouldn't leave me alone. Told me I couldn't join the rest of the class until I did 10 sit ups. Didn't happen.

       Now, because I knew English now, I started to tell the teacher the names the kids were calling me. But till this day I remember what my teacher told me, and why I felt like I would never be safe.

       "Dawn can you please stop telling on them for the love of god! Just ignore them,".

       "But they won't leave me alone!," I said. But just like that my teacher let the bullying continue. I was known as the class tatell teller. And things didn't get better from there, just worse. Because I acted up at school, when my father wasn't home, my brother's girlfriend would hit me.

       I asked myself why she was doing this? She wasn't my mother so why did she hit me she had no right. Needless to say I didn't say anything to my mother or father. All these things happening to me really did affect me. I was such a happy little girl, that just couldn't wait to share her feelings. To me hiding things from my parents so they wouldn't find out what was going on.

     I knew my routine, wake up, get on the bus, go to school, get called names, get hit on the bus on the way home, get hit at home , pretend nothing happened when dad gets home, and go to sleep. It was always the same routine for days, weeks, months. Finally summer arrived for the second time. 

      First, my brother's girlfriend was no longer a problem, she moved out. Second my childhood friend said we could be friends again and we started hanging out again. But, after what happened at school I knew things between us would never be the same. Then she introduced me to Rose. Now Rose was my guardian angel, she didn't judge me for being chubby, she treated me the same.

       We started hanging out every single day. And became better friends then we were with my childhood friend. I really liked Rose, she gave me a whole new meaning. Suddenly, going to school wasn't so bad, because I had someone to look forward to. I would rush home from school to see my friend. Yes I was bullied at school, but now I at least had a friend.