Prologue

*A/N: Trigger Warning: character has a slight breathing issue at the end, but is quickly dealt with and is very minor. 

"Look, all i'm saying is that you only know two people who are going to be there, that and those two people just got together yesterday. What are you going to do? I know exactly what you're going to do. You're gonna stick to the new couple like glue for the whole night and annoy the..."

"But Thomas doesn't have to! Sure he only knows two people now, but it will be the perfect opportunity to make some new friends!"

"...but they're the ones who invited you, you don't want to let them think you're neglecting them..."

"That's a bit of a stretch Anxiety..."

"Even so, what if you get rejected? You're going to piss off and alienate Jane and Tom if they see you can't click with their friends..."

"Well Thomas, in reality it won't be as precarious or likely to fail as Debby Downer over here would lead you to think-"

"Yeah, Anxiety! You can't even stick to one stance today-"

The five were arguing passionately in Thomas' living room. It was early afternoon, and the deadline for bailing on established plans in a socially acceptable manner was fast approaching. 

Anxiety huffed at the last responce, which happened to belong to the smug Prince on his right.

"Well. All three outcomes are entirely possible and likely! They got together yesterday Thomas, they won't want you sticking to them and you won't even stay long without them babysitting you so why even bother-"

"It's a chance to grow then!" Patton offered, clapping his hands with his characteristic cheer and zeal. 

Thomas was thinking very deeply.

"I think..." They all leaned in. "I think I might stay in tonight."

Anxiety visibly relaxed, then leaned back on the stairs. He was the only one who looked happy with this decision however, the other three personalities made their frustration very obvious.

Roman thrust his hands into the air dramatically and said "Oh come on!"

Logan had sighed deeply, turning to Thomas and pinching the bridge of his nose with frustration. 

Patton looked clearly crestfallen, his arms falling heavily to his sides and his lips bursting forth into a pointed pout.

"Well, that's my cue." Anxiety stretched, looking extremely smug and sank down to his room in the mindscape. 

*(TW start)

Now alone, he let his smirk slide off his face and took a moment to steady his breathing. 

The darkest trait sat heavily on his bed with a grunt, put his face in his hands, and tried to slow his heartbeat...

He didn't enjoy his job. Especially when he felt he had to go the extra mile. 

Hey lay back to rest his head on his pillow, trying to block out the commotion that had broken out in what Virgil judged to be the common room: the others must be back.

He didn't expect a knock.

As he curled into a ball, trying to block out the fresh looks of frustration and disappointment that had graced the faces of his counterparts, he couldn't help but wonder whether he would even open the door to a knock anyway.

*(TW end)