Chapter Thirteen

We moved through the woods, squished between a group of elves at the front and one at the back. It was growing lighter and lighter the farther we went. Finally, the trees parted to show a bridge, leading to a dome-shaped structure with signature Elven architecture. Two guards opened the large, stone, double-door.

"Thorin," I heard Bofur whisper as the Elves headed us inside. "Have you seen Bilbo?"

Thorin turned around, as did I. We looked at each other and I shook my head; I didn't see him. Had he even come down from the trees? Had he been eaten? Was he even still alive?

The inside of the building took my breath away. It was like a forest within a cave, a much more beautiful forest than what lurked just outside these walls. The trees formed much of the structures. What looked like a combination of roots and branches supported the stone bridge that we were walking over. It was gorgeous; I was in awe.

We snaked up a long, winding path. My heart dropped when I realized that we were being led right towards barred, iron cells. The Elves broke ranks and, one by one, they grabbed us, threw us in, and locked the door. But they didn't put Thorin in one; I didn't know where they were taking him, and panic overtook me.

"Thorin!" I called out.

He turned around to look at me and struggled against the Elves' grasp, but there was no way he was getting away.

"Quiet!" one of the Elves threatened.

They began to file out and the dwarves banged against their cell doors, punching, kicking, hitting the gates, but nothing budged.

"Stop!" Balin ordered. "Before you hurt yourselves. We're not getting out of here by force."

It grew silent as the dwarves realized what they were doing wouldn't work. I wasn't sure anything would.

"Kani," I heard Kili whisper after a few minutes. I was in a cell looking down at his. "Can't you get us out of here?"

My wand! I checked my coat, my shirt, my pants, my boots, but my wand and my sword were still missing. I sighed.

"No. It's missing." I said, not wanting to use the actual word in case anyone was listening.

Thankfully, Kili caught on.

"What?! What do you mean it's missing?"

The other dwarves had gathered around the doors of their cells, desperately hoping that I could help.

"I mean it's gone. When they searched me, both my sword and it weren't on me."

"Do you think you dropped it?"

"I don't know...I don't know."

The dwarves seemed to heave a collective sigh and they retreated to the back corner of their cells, and I watched as Bofur and Fili both sunk to the ground. I felt horrible. I was useless without my wand; I was just a woman who could barely use a sword that was specially made for her. I, too, pressed myself up against the back of my cell as tears streamed down my face. My wand was gone. Bilbo was gone. Thorin was gone. Gandalf was gone. I felt so alone.

Time passed slowly. No one talked to each other, and the only sounds that could be heard were water running from a fall near us and the occasional laughter and chatter from elves passing by.

Finally, I heard some sort of commotion as hurried footsteps approached the cells. I heard Thorin's voice and I ran to the front of my cell. A door opened and then slammed shut and I heard the signature sound of a key turning in a lock. Someone walked briskly away.