Chapter Nine

After about a half an hour lecture from Sauraman and Elrond, the elves served us lunch. I wasn't very interested in the food, even though it was a hearty meal of grilled chicken, rice, bread, and salad. But Gandalf insisted I had to eat for strength and energy. Then, he basically ordered me to go to my room, clean up, and pack and get ready to leave while he and Galadriel talked.

I hurried to my cottage, eager to be reunited with Thorin and the rest of the company, but I knew that Gandalf and Galadriel would probably be a little while. There seemed to be a lot of history between them. So, I ended up taking a little while myself to straighten up. I started by packing my nightgown into my brown satchel, hoping I would get to wear it at least once more. Next, I made the bed, slowly.

I held the pillow that Thorin had used up to my face and breathed him in before setting it in on the ground. I flicked the other pillow off and then smoothed out the fitted sheet, making sure to run my hand where Thorin had lain the night before, before setting the other one on top. Next, I straightened out the comforter and then replaced the pillows. I was about to sit down on the bed when a dreadful feeling came over me.

My knees buckled under me and I collapsed to the floor. I recognized this sensation. It was the same one I felt before my family had been brutally slaughtered. Someone I loved was in trouble.

"Thorin," I thought.

I sprinted out of my cottage only to run straight into Gandalf, almost knocking him over. Before I could say anything, he just simply said, "I know."

"What do we do?"

"Well, the only thing we can do."

"No," I said sternly.

Gandalf was going to attempt to have us do what witches and wizards called "a transport". If successful, you can disappear from one place and appear in another within a matter of seconds. But it was difficult. It took more energy than any other spell known to our kind. I had heard horror stories of wizards and witches just vanishing from a transport because they didn't focus their energy enough on it. I knew Gandalf and I had no other option though; at least if you had two people you could combine your energies, but it was still no easy task.

"We must."

"Fine."

"Just think of it as part of the adventure," Gandalf said, chuckling a bit. I was in no mood for jokes as I prepared myself. "We will make for the top of the Mountain Pass. Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

The key to a successful transport was to gather up every ounce of your energy and then emanate it outward, but it was rather easy to simply pass out in the process if you overestimated your own power.

"On the count of three," Gandalf instructed. "One, two, three."

We stood facing each other and then began to amass the majority of our own energy, taking a bit of comfort that we could coalesce ours. Of course, we didn't want to take for granted that the other was doing everything they could, so we aired on the side of caution.

"Push it outwards now!"

It was as if a huge gust of wind consumed us. In an instant, Gandalf and I stood atop the Mountain Pass, but we were weak enough that just standing was difficult. I took in some deep breaths and tried to calm my racing heart and steady myself. I knew we had to keep going.

We both found the strength after a few moments to survey our surroundings. It was getting dark so it was a bit difficult to do so, but then something caught my eye. There was a cave across the way, off a narrow trail, that had a small orange light coming from it. Gandalf noticed it too, and we both made a break for it.