Chapter Eleven

The company's relief did not last long as the howls of Wargs pierced the cool morning air. I knew that Azog would not give up so easily, and we couldn't stay up here forever. We were vulnerable; exposed.

"Gandalf...any ideas?" I asked.

He pondered my question for a few moments.

"There is a house...it lies near the edge of Mirkwood forest."

"That's too far from here," Thorin said.

"We have no choice," Gandalf retorted.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Dwalin asked.

The dwarves began to descend the steep set of stairs, but Gandalf didn't seem so haste to leave

"What is it?" I inquired.

"Azog's pack is not the only thing to patrol the lower lands in these parts. We are out of options, though."

I nodded. When I turned around Thorin was still at the top of the stairs, waiting for me. I walked over to him and he put a hand on my back as we climbed down the hill. The path that we found ourselves on was rocky and narrow and it looked like it went on for miles.

We ran for a good ten minutes but then had to stop. Warg cries surrounded us, bouncing off the mountain tops, disorienting us. We had no way to tell where they actually were.

There was a small cave to our right and a trail leading up to a hill to our left. We headed into the small cavern to catch our breaths and reevaluate our plan.

"Bilbo, I have a task for you," Gandalf said. I heard Bilbo gulp just the littlest bit. "I need you to run up that hill and see if you can spot the Orcs."

There was a reason why he was our burglar. He was the lightest on his feet and had the least chance of being detected.

"Okay," Bilbo finally replied.

"If you need help, just call. I'll be there." I said.

"Thank you."

Bilbo took in a few deep breaths and then scampered up the hill, out of sight. I didn't doubt Bilbo, but the sheer strength of Azog frightened me. I couldn't help think of what would happen to our hobbit if he came face to face with the pale orc.

It felt like hours passed as we waited for Bilbo's return, and I grew more and more anxious. All the while, the Wargs could still be heard calling out all around us. Finally, I heard the faint sound of hurried footsteps and Bilbo came running down the hill.

"They're to the north of us...maybe about a mile away," he announced. "But-"

"Well done, Bilbo," Gandalf said.

"Thanks, but-"

"Let's get a move on," Thorin called.

"Stop!" Bilbo suddenly bellowed. "Will you listen to me for once? I'm trying to tell you that there is something else out there besides the Orcs and the Wargs."

Gandalf raised an eyebrow and I knew this was connected to what he was saying earlier.

"Did it take the form of a bear?" he inquired.

Bilbo looked like he was about to protest being interrupted again, but this mouth turned into a frown.

"How did you know? It was bigger, though...much bigger..." Bilbo trailed off

Just then a deep roar shattered the silence. It was like nothing that I had ever heard. The Wargs howled back from the opposite direction.

"Run!" Gandalf shouted.