7. the royals

Flora, Fauna and Merryweather were, in fact, talkative. They led me into a bathroom at the other end of the hall, and as they painted my face with bright powders and made coils in my hair, they spoke frantically, trying to milk as much information about Earth out of me as possible. One fact that they struggled to absorb was that magic doesn't exist where I come from.

"No magic at all?" Flora inquired.

"None."

Merryweather let out another 'humph'. "That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Why, my sisters and I went sixteen years without using magic, and it was one of the most dreadful times of my life! Everything was so... Dull!"

"How in the world do you survive without magic?" Fauna questioned.

I shrugged, wincing as Flora tugged at another lock of hair. "We don't really need magic to get things done. I mean, we use technology and electricity, which can be considered magical."

Flora's eyes grew two shades brighter. "Did you hear that, sisters? She has electricity!"

"You know what electricity is?"

Fauna released a vibrant chuckle. "Well, of course we know what electricity is! Who wouldn't?"

Flora smiled, tapping her wand against a lock of my hair. I looked over my shoulder, watching as it twisted all on its own, forming another curl. My stomach pinned itself into a complicated knot, glossed with ash. No. No, that did not just happen. Curls don't form on their own.

"There's electricity in the Disneyverse, but only in a few kingdoms," the fairy draped in red explained. "More specifically, kingdoms that don't have magic."

"England, Denmark, and Modern America," Merryweather added. "Just to name a few."

"Okay... Answer me this- how do some countries- um, kingdoms," I corrected, "have modern technology, while others light their rooms with candles?" I gestured towards the claw-foot tub, which was lined with wax disks, waiting to be kissed by flames.

"Well," Flora replied, "as you've probably figured out by now, the Disneyverse is a world in which every Disney movie ever created takes place."

Feeling drained from my jaw. Yeah, and I'm Jennifer Lopez. It hadn't been too difficult to figure out that I was hallucinating- the wands, the tiny wings, the feeling as though I were stepping on air... It was all an alcohol-induced dream.

Well, I may as well play along while it lasts. I mean, when I wake up, I'm going to be grounded for life and have a criminal record. This is my final bite of freedom.

Flora went on. "Most Disney movies took place within the same year, even though the eras that they take place in are completely different. Kingdoms are, as you would say, stuck in different periods of time, while others are hundreds of years ahead of us."

Wow. How complicated. This may be the most detailed dream that I've ever had. "That doesn't make any sense, though."

Fauna waved her wand dismissively. "Oh, you'll get used to it soon, dearie. There are quite a few things in this world that won't make sense to someone of your kind."

"Of my kind?"

"Someone from Earth," Fauna explained. She prodded my cheek with her wand, and I felt a gust of cold air brush across my face.

"Why do you have a bathtub in a castle with no electricity or running water?" I asked, ready to laugh. A nice dream- doesn't make much sense, though.